My neighbours are very loud

10 posts
work1
Options:
Share this post on:

My neighbours are very loud

Postby work1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 am

Hi
We live in a typical London terrace house and our bedroom has a fireplace which "shares" the chimney with the house on the other side of the wall.

On a really quiet night with not much traffic or wind I can hear my neighbours in their bedroom. Some nights they sound muffled and I can only hear the rise and fall of their voices, not the words, and on other days it feels like they are actually in the bedroom talking to me as well. :o

Honestly the first time it happened I thought someone was in the room, it was really scary.

This didn't really bother me and it didn't happen very often and I put it down to London living.

However recently my neighbours seems to have refreshed their, ahem, relationship and to be frank they're at it like teenagers. :o

So three times a week I go to bed and feel like I'm sharing a bed with a couple going at it hammer and tongs. It was funny the first few times but now every time I go to bed I feel like a I have a ringside seat to some sort of show they'd put on in Amsterdam.

They're a really lovely couple in their thirties and I'm delighted they're so loved up but I have no idea what to do?

Can I pop around a borrow a cup of sugar and ask them to tone it down, the thought makes me blush :oops: or does anyone know if it can be soundproofed?

I sounds really triffling but I'm dreading bed times now

W1
Hattie
Share this post on:

Re: My neighbours are very loud

Postby Hattie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:24 pm

How about getting some good rubbery earphones and retiring to bed with some relaxation music till the show is over! :lol:
Hattie Weeks
Maternity Consultant
http://www.hattieweeks.co.uk
Lulumoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lulumoo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Perhaps turn it around and when you next bump into one of them say something like "gee I hope I wasn't too noisy the other night, I had a few friends over and we were having a good laugh. I'm sure you would have heard us as you hear EVERYTHING through these walls and down the chimney". Hopefully they'll take the hint…?
Good luck! I'm a very light sleeper myself so that would really bother me enough to move out!
NYE31
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NYE31 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Or just banging on the walls, that should give them the hint!

I feel for you, I spent years being disturbed by my neighbours.

Good luck ;)
SFMC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SFMC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Agree maybe when it is happening maybe bang on the walls and shout 'keep it down lovebirds' or say something humorous but loud so they hear?! Or turn up the music so they are aware you can hear them.
Assume they have no idea how much you can hear.

Or just as you say knock on their door and vaguely mention if they could keep it down after 10pm as you can hear everything through the walls. You could keep it vague...

Also suggest ear plugs regardless.

Wow I'm just cringing thinking about it.

KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:02 pm

You could always try having a Meg Ryan moment during one of their quieter pauses... :D
Teddingtondad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Teddingtondad » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:20 am

or even give them a recording....
LidoLady
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LidoLady » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:42 am

We had this problem when we lived in the flat above a 'loved up' bloke and his new girlfriend. She did a huge amount of moaning and shrieking, on one occasion while we were holding a dinner party. One of the guests was a nurse and she ran downstairs, rang the doorbell and when the chap came to the door in his dressing gown she said 'I can hear someone in pain - I'm a nurse, can I help?'

Problem solved for good.
mr f
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mr f » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Do what they do in Spain. Applaud and cheer loudly! :D

lazy-bones
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lazy-bones » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I would knock on the door and ask if they have noticed any mice in their bedroom lately?? Tell them every night they go to bed the little blighters start screaming and making moaning & groaning noises all night long??? Ask if they can check out where the noise is coming from and if its mice could they deal with it as its causing you sleepless nights!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.