rogue decorators

1 post
wandsworth housewife
Share this post on:

rogue decorators

Postby wandsworth housewife » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Two weeks ago I had a knock on my door - a decorator caught me unawares as I was really unwell-said they he and his team had just finished two houses in my road and pointed them out- and said that they had a few days in the area- would I like my window ledges done- I asked for a quote and he said it would have to be a quick decision - gave a ridiculously low quote and I fell for it!! I did say I would only pay by cheque -Next there were a team of 10 Irish travellers doing the painting- no preparation, no sanding etc and after 2 hours the leader demanded cash- double the quote!! So I had to hobble down to the nearest bank to get the cash leaving the house open as the front door was wet with paint- they were due back the next day but vanished!! Stupid me- should have known better!!
They had a van marked Mid-West decorators with a fake telephone number [I did try it} and lo and behold- they had not done the other houses in the road either- what a scam!! They have tried it on several people in the area...
Anyone know anything about them or had a similar experience?
I would never knowingly fall for such a scam but just out of hospital and seemed too good to be true- if it sounds like it is then it will be ....
Just a warning fo others!!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.