Disposable or reusable nappies?

5 posts
Gwyneth Rees
Options:
Share this post on:

Disposable or reusable nappies?

Postby Gwyneth Rees » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:05 pm

My baby's due in May. Should I buy washable nappies? I've got a friend who uses them and says they're great. Another friend bought some and never got round to it. I really want to use real nappies but I'm confused.
topmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Disposable or reusable nappies?

Postby topmama » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:15 pm

I used reusable nappies for both my children. They are a bit harder work than disposables but once you get used to them they are fine.

I lived in Fulham when I had my first child and at the time (2008/9) the council gave all new parents £30 towards cloth nappies they also hosted monthly events called nappicino's presented by a couple of parents who were very pro real nappies. They talked about why to use real nappies and demonstrated a few , may be worth checking the H&F website. At the time Bumgenius (version 3) were the favourite and I bought 20 of these. They are an all-in-one nappy (over cover and 2 inserts) that grow with the child so you only need about 20 to last from birth to toilet training. They cost about £15 each but I got a discount and the voucher so paid about £200.

With real nappies you have to change every 3/4 hours otherwise you get leaks but as long as you know that they are great. You wash as 60 degrees and use very little detergent and sometimes a napisan. I considered using a washing service but we have a warm large kitchen and the nappies tended to dry over night, they are made of a quick drying material. I washed every 3 days, kept the soiled nappies in a bucket. Once you wean use a very fine paper liner that generally contained the poo which you flush down the loo. So there is very little poo and not much smell.......particularly compared to disposables!

I did however use pampers at night, I could not find anything better and did not want my babies waking because they were wet ....as well as hungry! However I know there are some good environmentally friendly disposables, that have a high percentage of biodegradable material. Websites like 'spirit of nature' are good for this.

I did fine them too hard work for a newborn when you can have frequent changes and there are lots of other things to get used to. Mine were both quite small and had thin legs so the nappies did not fit around the leg until 6-8 weeks.

Once my babies started feeding they grew fast and were both chunky babies. So there were some clothes that did not fit so well around a larger bottom so no skinny jeans!.... i know there are some websites that sell clothes for real nappies but I just made sure the bottoms were not too tight.

Youtube had some great videos of how to use a range of real nappies I loved Bumgenius and I am sure there is a version 4 and a lots of different designs now.

The are some Facebook sites like:
'Bumgenuis bums' and 'Cloth nappies for sale' which are worth looking at.

Good luck with the new baby. Please pm me if you want anymore info.
Sorry for the long post.
:D
ejh18
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ejh18 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:40 pm

I have been using cloth nappies on my daughter for two and a half years, and I love them! I made the mistake of buying a whole kit of one brand of nappy before my daughter was born, but I didn't really get on with them and nearly gave up. I sold those nappies and tried a few different brands and types, and I eventually found some nappies that work perfectly for us. For this reason I would highly recommend trying a few different types when your baby arrives, then you can ease yourself into it gently, and get to know what works for you. Are in you Merton? If so there is a nappy library in Colliers Wood which is part of a group called Merton Green Parents. They can offer advice and loan you a kit of nappies to try. They are also doing a cloth nappy demonstration on Tuesday evening (24th February) at Mothercare in Colliers Wood. I think there is also one running in Kew on the same day, but I'm not sure of the details. If you are interested I can find out more for you. If you are in Wandsworth, I am currently in the process of setting up Wandsworth Nappy Library, and it should be up and running by the time your baby arrives. I'll also be holding some cloth nappy demonstrations myself. If you want any information or advice I'm happy to help.
Pod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pod » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 am

Hi there we've been using cloth nappies for 18months, visit www.fillyourpants.com where you can trial a whole selection of different Styles very cheaply. We use bumgenius and can't fault them.
I'd recommend not starting until 4-6 weeks and give yourself a chance to settle into being a mum get past the meconium stage which is explosive (was with our daughter) we did one day cloth a week building up to two days then three over a month and by 3months old she was 100% cloth during day and a Naty biodegradable nappy at night.
Anyone who goes on about disposable versus cloth with the washing etc not being Eco - it's more to do with landfill. If you'd like any more help feel free to text me 07786806993 and I can email you x
GeorginaStevens
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GeorginaStevens » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi there
I host a weekly show about environmental issues on Wandsworth Radio and tonight we are talking about reusable nappies! Please listen in if you would like to find out a bit more - including where to start and why they are better for the environment.
http://www.wandsworthradio.com
Thanks!
Georgina
https://www.flowan-health.com/
https://www.thesmartclinics.co.uk/
https://merrygoround.club/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wellbeing-guide
https://recentre-health.co.uk/womens-health-support/

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.