Independent midwife/doula

18 posts
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Independent midwife/doula

Postby 2009Kat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am

I am considering an independent midwife or a doula mainly for some continuity of care and post natal support. I don't particularly want a homebirth though and will prob give birth in St Georges or St Thomas's. I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations/experiences? Thanks.
madidi
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Independent midwife/doula

Postby madidi » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

hi

I have given birth a couple of weeks ago in St Thomas, staff was great and all went well. This being said, the post natal care at St thomas is rather disappointing if you have no problem as the staff seems to be running really short. I was accompagnied by a birth doula which was key to a positive experience and so important to give you the right reassurance and support.

I also hired a post natal doula (trainee- they charge £10/hour) to recover as I was mindful that the first couple of weeks are busy and to have a happy baby you need to be rested and confortable with your own emotions. She helped also with the cooking, cleaning, shopping and so on so i found the option more flexible than the nannies who often would look after the baby only.

I have found both doula through the website doula.co.uk which has been helfpful, you can do a search based on your post code to find someone in your local area.

Hope this helps.
emben12
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby emben12 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi,

I gave birth at St Thomas's in June last year. I did a lot of research into Chelsea & Westminster, St George's and St Thomas' and st Thomas' seemed to come out on top on a number of points. I was very happy with the majority of my birth and found everything very clean and the staff were great. I would definitely go back there if I had a second baby.

I also had a private midwife and couldn't recommend the experience highly enough. I had a pretty long horrendous labour and I really don't think I would have coped as well if my midwife hadn't been there. Having someone there who is medically trained and someone you have got to know is so reassuring. She explained every step of the way what was going on and took the time to make sure I understood all options (I was induced). The main reason I booked her in the first place was for the post natal care as I knew I would feel overwhelmed. It again was so reassuring having someone visit regularly to check on me and also to check the baby was feeding ok, weighing her, checking her over etc. She came every day for the first week, every other day the second week and then a couple of times a week until 6 weeks post birth.

I used the Birth Centre in Tooting which has unfortunately recently had to close down. However, my midwife is still practicing independently with a group of midwives from the birth centre. If you are interested I can get her details and send them to you. I would definitely hire her again.

Hope that helps.
Taloula
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Taloula » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 am

have had both my babies at St .George's. The first time without a doula and I ended up in theatre with a forceps delivery after 36 hrs labour (which may or may not have been avoidable with extra help from someone advocating for me). The second time I had a doula and it was way more civilised ! Found her through doula.co.uk My husband though initially sceptical thought afterwards she was worth her weight in gold!

If its your first don't be proud, rope in as much postnatal help as you can paid or not and phone the NCT helpline or visit your local La Leche League group for breastfeeding support - that made all the difference for me!!!
jess123
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby jess123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:55 am

I am currently using South London Independent Midwives and loving them. I haven't given birth yet, but feel very confident in their abilities. (I was booked into the birth centre but had to change due to it closing down.) My emphasis is on the birth and having someone there as I have plenty of family support for afterwards - hence why I chose the independent midwife route. If I didn't have family in the area I would have considered a doula.
https://recentre-health.co.uk/womens-health-support/
https://merrygoround.club/
https://www.flowan-health.com/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wellbeing-guide
https://www.thesmartclinics.co.uk/
catty29a
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby catty29a » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 am

I had my first daughter at Kings with the help of an independent midwife (started as a home birth but ended up in hospital) - foolishly second time around I went without and went solo (well, with hubby!) to St George's - really wished I had spent the money and got my independent midwife back and she ended up coming to help with postnatal care. Anyway, I can't recommend her highly enough - she offers full ante-natal and post-natal care plus home birth or she'll come to the hospital with you. She also offers just postnatal care. Her name is Melody Weig and this is her website http://www.birthrites.uk.com/private_mi ... elody_weig
Caroline1972
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Caroline1972 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:35 pm

I gave birth at St George's last year to my first child and used The Birth Centre independent midwives. Their base is a converted house that basically on the ground of St George's and so you can choose to give birth at their site with the knowledge you are so close to the hospital if necessary, or I went to their house for the first few hours of labour (they have birthing pools) and then then transferred over to the hospital when I was ready and felt I wanted to be in that environment. I found them very flexible to work with and would use them next time too.
marypoppins
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby marypoppins » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 pm

I am a maternity practitioner who prefers to work in a Doula type role, supporting you through the first post natal days when you need plenty of rest and support. Perhaps I could be of help to you?
new_mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby new_mum » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm

I also used South London Independent Midwives, http://www.southlondonindependentmidwives.co.uk/, and I cannot recommend them highly enough!!

They were great at the birth, and their post natal care was AMAZING!!!! Having continuity of care, means I got consistent advice every day that they visited me at home, and helped me out with so so many things!!!
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wellbeing-guide
https://recentre-health.co.uk/womens-health-support/
https://merrygoround.club/
deepaspirit
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby deepaspirit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi,

I am a trainee doula, a yoga teacher and a mother of a beautiful boy, I live in tooting and would love to speak to you about your options off having a doula to support you, pre and post natally.
If you would like to have a chat, please do not hesitate to contacte me at info@deepaspirit.com
look forward to hearing from you.

Deepa
Sunnyside
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sunnyside » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi,

An independent midwife and a doula are not the same thing. A midwife is medically trained and can provide you with continuity of care for your pre-and post natal times. If you opt for a hospital birth, then they will act as a doula for the actually birth, as independent midwives no longer have hospital rights anywhere in London. The can also be your advocate at the hospital and speak medical speak to the midwives and doctors and be able to give you sound medical advice on your options.

Doulas do not have any medical training. They can't provide you with your prenatal care, so if you hire one, you will still have to deal with the NHS for prenatal care or also hire an independent midwife. They can coach you through the birth, give lots of encouragement and suggest positions to relieve the pain, but they most likely will not hold the same clout as a midwife, if you want the option to question what the doctors/midwives in hospital want you to do.

Postnatally, they will both help you to establish breastfeeding, however, a doula will also stay around and make tea and food for you and help out with the baby (if you pay for it). A midwife will come everyday for the first 10 day - 2 weeks to make sure you and baby are fine, answer questions, do the checks on the baby, take bloods, check your tear/incision if there is any to check. The first visit could be a few hours and then will become 15-30 min as you and the baby settle in and if everything is going well. The midwife will then visit every few days, then weekly until she discharges you around 6 weeks.

I used Melody Weig (www.birthrites.uk.com) for both of my kids. When I first got in touch with her, I was planning a hospital birth (even though I had always wanted a home birth, but thought I couldn't really do it in a flat and my husband wasn't keen). She recommended St George's, as they are the most midwifery led of the hospitals.

After meeting with her, she addressed my concerns, and more importantly my husband's, so we opted for a home birth. It was my first and everyone thought I was crazy and reckless, but I had a fantastic birth experience and really wish more woman felt comfortable opting for it.

It was empowering. Quick and much less painful than I expected. And the best bit of a home birth is that you get to crawl into your bed at the end of it. No hospital ward. No painful ride home. No MSRA (I have a near phobia about hospitals and germs, which is why I was so keen for a home birth.) And you get to control your environment and who's around.

I had total faith in Melody. She's been practicing as an independent midwife since 1985. She's seen it all, she's done it all. She stays calm. She recognises when things aren't going right, and knows when to transfer.

Her fee also includes hypno-birthing and a birth pool. The hypnosis helped for both births. My first came before the pool was up and my second was born in the pool. It's very nice for pain and being able to get into positions that you wouldn't be able to do except in a near weightless environment.
Sam001
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sam001 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 pm

You are definately doing the right thing!!! If I ever had to go through labour again, I would also consider having a private midwife or a doula because it will make your experience SO much nicer.

I know Lulu Winfield from pregnancy yoga and I think that she is absolutely amazing. I have not used her a doula myself (cause I thought i'll manage without) and I do regret it, but I can't recommend her highly enough - she is calm, patient, very reassuring but yet can be very assertive with medical staff and VERY knowledgable.

http://www.luluwinfield.com/

Good luck, wish you all the best.
kiwimummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kiwimummy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:12 pm

i gave birth at st thomas's late last year and i used sage femme just for post natal care. http://www.sagefemme.co.uk/

they were excellent, i would recommend them. i had a pre birth "get to know you" meeting, then they kept in touch re my likely delivery and discharge dates. two of the team cared for me after the birth, visiting every day for about 5 or 6 days after discharge (including the day of discharge) and then visits were more spaced out. they co ordinated really well and were very hands on and caring. it ended up being quite a stressful time with a post op infection and my son's health concerns, and i really appreciated the additional support.

it was fantastic to have the help as i am afraid i don't have many good things to say about the post natal help offered by st thomas's (I tried to cancel it, but failed - they still turned up a week after discharge).
https://www.thesmartclinics.co.uk/
https://www.flowan-health.com/
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Thank you for all your comments and recommendations. I shall look into this further. This will be my second baby - just thinking of some support at the birth and post natally. Can't praise the NHS staff enough for baby number 1 but they don't have the time to do much hand holding!
rachana
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rachana » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:03 am

Hello, i would like to know if any of you ladies have had a private midwife or doula with your second birth after a traumatic first birth and found it was a great experience, this is something i am looking into and feel it all sounds great, having someone there with me at the birth that knows what they are doing,,, !!! i live in east sussex and was wondering if anyone could recommend a private midwife or doula in this area?
i would love to hear from anyone that has choosen to have a private midwife and what the outcome was, thankyou.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.