Has anyone used an online estate agent?

4 posts
Earlsfieldite
Share this post on:

Has anyone used an online estate agent?

Postby Earlsfieldite » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:46 am

Perhaps I am being stingy but 1.25% for selling a London house seems an awful lot of cash.

Considering Sarah Beeny's online agency as I can do viewings myself and apparently the agency does the negotiation bit.

Any thoughts? Views from anyone that has sold this way particularly welcome.
Seb
Share this post on:

Re: Has anyone used an online estate agent?

Postby Seb » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:01 am

I'd love for them to work but I'm still not convinced.

Although I agree that it's a lot of cash as a percent of the house value it's not so much. I've looked at most of the online agents in the past and I can't get past the

1) it's a hassle to show people around. In fact it's more than hassle it's impossible if you work and they come during the day

2) if they manage to bump up the price by even only a few quid by going to sealed bids or riding the heat of a market then they've paid for themselves.

Don't get me wrong I'd love for it to work but I'm just not sure.

If you do go ahead please keep me posted
Roxron
Share this post on:

Postby Roxron » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:44 am

I sold a house using an online site over 10yrs ago and felt it eased so much of the pressure that agents can put on you throughout the selling process.
It was pre Sarah Beeney and all the site I used did was list my property with photos, I also had their board outside the house to increase exposure. I was responsible for all viewings, negotiations, and the sale through to completion.
It was on the market a while, maybe longer than it would have been had I used an agent, but in the end I had three interested parties and it went to sealed bids.
I would definitely say if you're not in a desperate rush then it's worth a try for a couple of months, you can always go on with a high street agent later if it doesn't work!
beammeupscotty
Share this post on:

Postby beammeupscotty » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:18 pm

We sold our flat using hatched which is an online agency and it only cost £499. They take the photographs, list the property on all the main sites and are the contact point for making bookings / offers etc. I didnt mind doing the viewings although some people found it unusual i guess but at the end of the day I dont think it put people off, the london property market is so competitive anyway.

I was happy with it as we made such a saving and would definitely consider doing it again but I think it suits properties of a certain budget - if you have a very expensive property then buyers may expect different. With our flat we werent impressed with the pictures they took so we took new ones ourselves and got them to change them so just bear things like that in mind. I think it's worth a go personally, especially if you will be selling a property which will appeal to younger market / first time buyers.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.