Moving from state to private

2 posts
mwamwa
Options:
Share this post on:

Moving from state to private

Postby mwamwa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 am

We are considering moving our Year 4 boy from a state primary school to a private school, possibly this September. It is all a bit last minute and I am in two minds about it but my husband is very keen for us to make the move sooner rather than later and ideally get him into a school which goes up to 13 for taking Common Entrance. My son is doing ok at his state school and is fairly bright, not highly sporty, a very happy soul, just middle of the road really.
I just wanted any constructive advice from anyone who has made or considered this move from state to private (at this age) and any advice on any schools. I have heard negative reports about Northcote Lodge and I just don't think it is us anyway. Not that this should be relevant but family have offered to pay for his education and we are not Mr & Mrs Loadsofmoney ourselves!

Any tips gratefully received!
susieq
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Moving from state to private

Postby susieq » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Good neighbours of mine moved their 2 eldest sons( the youngest had yet to start school) from a local state primary to Eaton House school a number of years ago, the oldest went into year 3. Thus although i have no direct experience i can make some observations (my son is also at ( Eaton House) , your husband is right is saying the sooner the better, eg Eaton House starts Latin in year 4 ( which is examined as a matter of course in the Common Entrance exam at 13) and thus moving to the school would require some catching up here. Think about why you want your son to take the common entrance, the main reason is usually you want your son to move to a boarding school at 13, the London day schools do take a 13+ entry but the 11+ entry is far bigger to allow for State school pupils. If you do not want a boarding school option at 13 I would personally stay where you are until 11 unless there are overwhelming issues such as boredom, a very sporty/musical/academic child , bullying etc. If you are interested in boarding at 13 then Eaton House is an excellent option and caters for both very bright and the average child, there are usually places higher up the school but they will certainly want to pre -test after year 3 entry. It will not be much fun for your son if he is out of his depth . I hope this helps

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.