Brussels and German Christmas markets - safe to travel?

7 posts
ilovecupcakes
Options:
Share this post on:

Brussels and German Christmas markets - safe to travel?

Postby ilovecupcakes » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Have a one week family holiday planned travelling by train around Brussels and Germany to visit the Christmas markets. Does anyone have any opinions on how safe it will be? Most of the trip is non refundable, but I'd rather be sensible and not go if it's not good timing given current situation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Brussels and German Christmas markets - safe to travel?

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:31 pm

I went to the Davis Cup final in Ghent yesterday via Brussels airport. Felt totally safe. Percentage wise I would think you're far more at risk in Central London especially if Parliament votes for air strikes in Syria.

Having said all that, Petal was right, it's a personal choice. My own choice is to go out and lead my life, otherwise they win.
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 am

We're planning a four day trip to Cologne to see family, and are wondering the same thing. My father (who lives there) is checking the local news sources, and we'll decide a few days beforehand based on that, and on world events, I think. I'm more nervous about the tunnel, to be honest, since we can go to the markets that are a bit outside the centre of the city and still have a nice time. I agree that we should all live our lives and not let them take over, but there are risks I would not take and it seems to me a matter of measuring those as well as possible before deciding.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:41 am

I agree with Julian. We live in London and so are probably at much more risk here than anywhere else. In order to live here and travel you just have to put all your faith in the security services. Go and have fun, can't live your life in fear. There always has been and always will be the threat of terrorism no matter where or when you go anywhere.
amberharding82
Share this post on:

Postby amberharding82 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:19 am

I've been at the Christmas market this Sunday, sipping on mulled wine. I gotta say, it seems quite calm in Brussels, but mainly because most of the people are out of the city/hiding at home. With soldiers at every corner, it does look calm, but also quite depressing. Nevertheless, I managed to catch the Light show on Grand Place (they've also built there a hut with real sheep, and some mannequins representing Jesus's birth) and truly felt the athmosphere of the big Christian holiday. I would say it's not worth it to go, if you're going to worry about your family all the time, though.

ilovecupcakes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ilovecupcakes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Thanks so much everyone! We've decided to go ahead with the trip but made it shorter. Will report back if there's anything useful to say! :)

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.