Good Schools Guide - worth the money?

4 posts
tooposhtopush
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Good Schools Guide - worth the money?

Postby tooposhtopush » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:55 pm

I don't think it will tell you anything you don't really know but I did find it worthwhile in terms of giving me structure to the various options we might have.

I'd use it in combination with stuff on here and other websites and you'll have a pretty comprehensive summary.

Good luck

:-)
BFW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BFW » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi MM ! Sorry but personally I don't think it is. I have found most of the information I needed on the secondary school websites.

I am not sure what the system is at the school your kids are at but am going through the whole process with my oldest at the moment and have had a meeting with the headmistress and together we discussed what secondary schools I should visit. I then got a detailed e mail with information on the secondary school we discussed. I think most schools in the area probably follow the same process ?

Good luck - like you I am not British and find the system in this country very complicated ! 11+ / Common Entrance / Pre-testing ...vaguely starting to get my head around it all ! :shock:
aliceinwonderland78
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby aliceinwonderland78 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I am a little late to the party - i felt exactly the same - UK schools are so confusing and all of the school gate chit chat thoroughly unhelpful!!!

I did look at GSG, which was helpful to an extent, but ended up using an independent consultant. They do the whole hog placement service (which we didn't need) and actually went for a 2 hour consultation with the woman who runs the company who used to teach in London for years. Her name is Isobel Walters - I think you'll find her if you google. Really really helpful in terms of seeing wood for trees. It was so helpful to speak to someone completely objective - they don't have any allegiances to any schools and so can be completely impartial. for me it kept me sane whilst everyone around me was spinning in circles!!! Hope that's helpful! Merry Christmas! :)
SGS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SGS » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:48 am

Absolutely completely and utterly worth every single cent, if the information online doesn't help you with your school choice, then talk to the advice service.
If you register you can create a short list of schools and compare them by exam results FOC. A pennies sub will then allow you to breakdown by subjects etc and see catchment maps if you're looking for a state school. Used it to find my eldests school and recommend to anyone.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.