Jumble Trail 9th October in SW18 (like on The Archers!) please sign up

4 posts
GuyD73
Share this post on:

Jumble Trail 9th October in SW18 (like on The Archers!) please sign up

Postby GuyD73 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 pm

Evening all. Some of you who listen to the Archers might, in recent weeks, have heard reference to a "Jumble trail".
It's basically like a collective "yard sale" where everyone in a small area brings their unwanted stuff out into their front gardens on a particular day to sell to neighbours and visitors. I have now offered to organise one in SW18 on October 9th, so please READ ON! We visited one in West Norwood earlier this year and got tonnes of good toys and clothes for the kids for pennies but more importantly it was great to see streets closed off to cars to become play streets, neighbours and visitors chatting away over a beer and some bbq, and there was a really sweet sense of community that is all too rare in London. The web site publishes a map of all the households participating, so as a visitor, you can plan a route round as many as you can manage. I thought a small triangle of East Hill, Wworth common westside, Earlsfield Road and St Annes Hill (incorporating a bit of the the tonsleys) might be a suitably tightly defined area (which I'm told works best!). We've got a cellar full of stuff we need to sell or give away and this seems like a much better solution than getting up at 6am to do a boot sale! While there are various ways of achieving reuse a getting a few pounds back for bits and bobs, wouldn't it be great to be able to shift lots of stuff in an afternoon? Usually there's a small fee for each household participating but on this occasion, it's being sponsored by Recycle for London, so is free to join, so I hope some of you will join us and make this a fun event in our neighbourhood. Go to http://www.jumbletrail.com/ enter your postcode and register to get a login and password. You can then enter your address and will appear on the map. I will be putting leaflets through doors, posting on fb groups and forums and putting posters on lamp-posts over the summer to ensure we have a decent number of households participating. If anyone who's passionate about community events and trying to stop waste going to landfill might like to give me a hand, your help would be much appreciated. My number is 07810 753 815 or email Guy@faircatch.co.uk Hope to hear from you x
illi@illi.co.uk
Share this post on:

Re: Jumble Trail 9th October in SW18 (like on The Archers!) please sign up

Postby illi@illi.co.uk » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:55 am

The jumble trail we visited was a really fun day out with a lovely community spirit to it, so it would be great if we could replicate it in our neighborhood. Please join in folks. If anyone might be willing to help us drum up some participation by helping us leaflet their street, we'd be very grateful. Looking for helpers on Dault road, Cicada road, Rosehill road, Eglantine, Melody, Acris, Jessica, Trefoil, Quarry, Killarney, Crief, Barmouth, Earlsfield. Enjoy your Sunday everyone :)
GuyD73
Share this post on:

Postby GuyD73 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:27 am

Four stalls signed up already. It's free to list a stall in your front garden and imagine how chuffed you will be to sell lots of unwanted stuff and free up lots of space in your house!
GuyD73
Share this post on:

Postby GuyD73 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm

The area is now correct and includes the Tonsleys. We expect to get good media coverage of this event, so hopefully there will be lots of visitors, we can all sell all our stuff and have a splendid time drinking G&Ts with our neighbours!

http://www.jumbletrail.com/event/Wandsworth

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.