Finding a place to live

4 posts
Jetsettingbaby
Options:
Share this post on:

Finding a place to live

Postby Jetsettingbaby » Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 pm

I have previously posted on here about Tooting Bec. We had a house lined up but it got broken in to. Now I am scared to move to that area. Is it too far out from London? are there nice coffee shops round there? We are moving from Dublin Ireland so I cant just go there to see whats in the surrounding area. We were thinking of Clapham as it is lovely and has some nice shops coffee shops ect. Could anyone give me any advice on places to live. There is another nice house just come up on the market in Tooting bec and I love the house but not sure if I should hold out and wait for awhat we want in Clapham ?
mumofbabyandcrazydog
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Finding a place to live

Postby mumofbabyandcrazydog » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 pm

i don't think Tooting Bec is too far out from Central London. I live in Clapham ("between the Commons" - SW11) and let me tell you - it is impossible to find places to rent - we moved here a year ago and there was hardly anything on the market and now we are looking again and in the same situation. plus, prices are crazy and selection/options so poor if you are trying to be in this specific area ( I don't know about areas around Clapham Common tube, etc.. SW4) but there are my two cents....
mother233
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mother233 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:57 pm

I live in Tooting Bec and I love it. Our house insurance actually decreased when we moved from Clapham to Tooting Bec so I think you may have just been unlucky.
mrs_pavlova
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mrs_pavlova » Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm

I live in Tooting Bec too, having lived previously 'between the Commons', in Balham and also in 'Bellevue Village' / Wandsworth Common. I would say that it all comes down to price and what you can afford to pay.

It's a simple fact that there are nicer cafes and shops in the areas that I list above, than in Tooting Bec - however, I love the area and feel very safe. New coffee shops are springing up all the time in Tooting, so you just need to look a little harder. And, you get a whole lot more house for your money and more garden too if that's important than in the smarter areas. That is the reason we bought in Tooting Bec - the same house would have cost £50k/£100k/£150k elsewhere. I'm sure the same can be said for rental prices.

This is only my opinion, but I hope it helps you a little!

Good luck with the move! :D

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.