Managing our own block of flats

4 posts
Mum2two2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Managing our own block of flats

Postby Mum2two2012 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 pm

Hello, I was wondering whether anyone manages the block of flats that they live in?

We currently have a managing agent who are extremely expensive and not so great.
I have recently learnt about Right to Manage and wondered whether anyone had exercised this right or has experience of overseeing this process?

Has anyone got any views on whether this is the right move. Our service charge has increased by 85% this year. Madness :(
firsttimerSW11
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Managing our own block of flats

Postby firsttimerSW11 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Yes, my block moved to RTM a few years back. You need the backing of a majority in the building. At least 2 of you need to be directors of the RTM. You then need to hiring a managing agent who works on your behalf. I wouldn't necessarily recommend mine; they were good at the start but they've stopped communicating. However the whole process is pretty seamless. We haven't saved an enormous amount of money it must be said but we do get a say in which contractors etc. get hired for any building maintenance. It's worth doing imo.
twomonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twomonkeys » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:06 pm

Are you able to manage it yourselves by getting together to buy the freehold?
Mum2two2012
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mum2two2012 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Hello at present purchasing the Freehold is too costly hence looking at this option. We are struggling to find block managing agents so if anyone can recommend any I would be extremely grateful.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.