What Baby Carrier should we buy

2 posts
AmyDullage
Options:
Share this post on:

What Baby Carrier should we buy

Postby AmyDullage » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:36 pm

I am looking at buying either a VAUDE or a Deuter baby carrier / rucsac thing (where the child sits up the top). So my husband and I can go walking. Does anyone have any recomendations or wanting to sell a second hand one to us?!

Thanks very much

Amy
Wimbledon
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: What Baby Carrier should we buy

Postby Wimbledon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Amy,

My lifesaver since I had number 3 has been my ergo baby carrier. I wish I'd bought it for number 1!!!! It probably costs about the same as a McClaren buggy but its been worth every penny. Its not a big bulky rucksack like the ones you mention (see my comments below on those), but it has other benefits. As its got no mental frame, it easily folds to fit in the bottom of your buggy in case you decide to carry your baby when you are out and about at any point (not just on walking trips) for example if you've bought too much heavy shopping and prefer to put the shopping in your buggy. They are a bit tricky to use on your own if your baby is very young, but I started using mine when my youngest was about 6 months, and although I'd roughly get her into the thing at home, the first person I met when I was outside the house was only too happy to help me adjust her position (just as long as you're not too shy to ask for help). She is now 16 months and 'knows the drill', so is very happy to assist in this process herself. I even carry my 3 year old very comfortably in it (max weight allowance 18kg). It may not be waterproof, but you can either carry an umbrella which will cover your child as well, or you can buy them a full waterproof suit so that they don't get wet. There is even an extra bit of material you clip up over their heads for when they fall asleep so that their heads don't snap back, and this material is useful protection from light rain spells. Again if you're not a yoga expert, don't be afraid to ask strangers to pass the straps over your shoulder for you as it can be a bit tricky otherwise. I've had so many people asking me where I got mine and others don't realise I have a baby with me as from the front it really does look just like I'm wearing any old rucksack.

Check them out here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw ... pwao5sld_b

As with all products these days there are so many different types, but I liked the look of the galaxy one (grey with stars) so thats why I chose it.

I have a MacPac baby carrier - the big rucksack looking type which comes with all the bells and whistles (rain hood, sun hood, extra head support cushion for when baby/child is sleeping), but to be honest we've barely used it. Its quite bulky to carry around with you if your child doesn't want to be in there and if you are driving to your walking location, then fitting a buggy and a carrier in the boot of your car along with change bag, emergency food, extra warm clothes etc can be a bit of a squeeze.

I guess it partly depends upon your requirements and how old your child is. If you are serious walkers who will be out most weekends in all sort of weather, then perhaps its a good investment for you.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.