Foxes every night

3 posts
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Foxes every night

Postby rubyonrails » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:44 am

Is anyone else having increasing problems with foxes. Almost every night we are being woken by screaching and regularly our bins have been are destroyed and we come down to litter everywhere. 

Londonista
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Foxes every night

Postby Londonista » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:09 pm

Gosh yes it has become so bad. I have metal bins that have clip on lids so don’t have a litter problem. My issue is they poo absolutely everywhere, honestly I’m not being dramatic but it has really made the garden unusable at times! And not to mention the flattening of all my plants which I find annoying but can live with.
They seem to delight in pooing right on the doormat, doorways, chairs, the kids toys (actually climbing to the top of a slide and pooing at the top 😳) and in all my plant pots.

Yesterday I went all through the garden and blocked up any areas I could see they were using as runs and shortcuts. I also cleaned up all fallen apples, pears and plums that I think they were eating. I then sprinkled pepper dust (fox repellent bought from hardware shop) everywhere and then sprinkled peppermint oil around all the doorways, mats, seats, toys etc.

I also ordered one of those ultrasonic motion detector things that shine for eyes to scare them off at night, as well as some citronella granules. The pepper dust and oil is washed away as soon as I water or it rains.

I think ultimately strongly plugging up all the gaps with chicken wire is the ultimate solution, as I’m told foxes don’t like places where they don’t have multiple exit routes for so if they find themselves in a dead end they move out quickly. A job for the autumn!
wasateacher
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Foxes every night

Postby wasateacher » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:42 am

You might feel sorry for the female foxes.  It is possible that the screaching is actually the female fox in pain.  Be grateful that humans do not have the same problem.  The male fox has barbs on his penis to hold it into the female.  This means that mating is painful for the female.

It might also be noted that one of the reasons foxes are now urban animals is because a) the amount of rubbish in urban areas, giving them rich picking and b) the treatment they get in rural areas.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.