Book Club SW18

12 posts
Hunnybunnymay
Options:
Share this post on:

Book Club SW18

Postby Hunnybunnymay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 pm

I am a full time mum of two little girls (both below three) and whilst I love what I'm doing, I sometimes long for a little bit of intellectual stimulation and to read and discuss a book longer than 100 words. I am (desperately seeking?!?) like minded people who would be interested in starting a once monthly, evening book club in the Wandsworth/Battersea area. If this is something that appeals (wine and food at meeting would of course be a prerequisite) please let me know.

HBM
lalectrice
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Book Club SW18

Postby lalectrice » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:58 pm

I'd be interested - I've been in a lovely book group for a few years, but its members have mostly moved out of London and we're lucky if we get to meet twice a year now! Some more regular reading, chat and wine would be great.
Hunnybunnymay
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hunnybunnymay » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Hurrah, that is really exciting! I have also had an email from another lady who is interested, so that is a good start....I think. Hopefully we can get some more people involved and sort out a regular slot. As you have been in a book club before I am sure you can advise a bit on the best way to go about setting it up or structuring it?!? Where are you based?

H
LdS
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LdS » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 pm

I'd be interested - have only just gotten back into reading (on the tube and on my way to work which is when I only seem to have the time) and enjoying my time "away" from it all..

Please let us know what evolves from this thread
Hunnybunnymay
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hunnybunnymay » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Great, I am really pleased there is some interest. I will give it a few days and see what happens and if there are any more responses, then hopefully we can sort out a meeting for those who are keen to be part of it!

H

Mimismum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Mimismum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:32 am

I too would be interested to join the book club. I love reading and it would be lovely to meet up and discuss, make friends etc..... Please keep me informed! Very exciting xoxo
topmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby topmama » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Hello,
I would be interested in joining a book club too.
Let me know where and when!
:)
stayathomemuminsw11
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby stayathomemuminsw11 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Depending on location, I'd definitely be interested!
happyaslarry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby happyaslarry » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:53 am

Hi there, I would be really interested in joining a book club too and look forward to hearing how this develops. Thanks.

lalectrice
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lalectrice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:13 am

In terms of setting the book group up etc., it was all pretty straightforward - we took turns to meet at different people's houses and everyone brought a food/wine contribution so that the host didn't have onerous amounts of preparation to do. Most book groups have a different member choose a book for each meeting, although my group ended up coming to mutual agreements quite often. Best thing for a new group (esp. where members haven't met before) is probably to set up an email group, in which people introduce themselves briefly, then pick a book and set a date! For info, I'm based in SW11 so anywhere localish is fine (have car). Looking forward!
TXmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby TXmum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:21 am

I'd be interested in joining as well. Need to read something more interesting than "How to (wean, stimulate, parent, potty train etc.) your baby"
Hunnybunnymay
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Hunnybunnymay » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Fabulous; it sounds like we have a good group to get going with!

Thanks lalectrice, all good advice and much along the lines of what I was thinking! I thought perhaps we could meet on the first Wednesday of every month starting in November (which gives us all lots of time to organise ourselves) but totally happy to take on board other suggestions. I will send out a group e-mail to all those who are keen and then we can plan things further. If anyone else is interested in the mean time, please e-mail me and I will add you to the group.

H

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.