Advice on how to stop my dog going to loo inside the house!

4 posts
WoofWoofWoof
Options:
Share this post on:

Advice on how to stop my dog going to loo inside the house!

Postby WoofWoofWoof » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:40 pm

Any dog experts out there??

My two and a half year old cavapoo has recently decided that going to the loo inside the house seems preferable to the garden!

Is this normal and what would be the best way to re train her?

As background, she is walked daily, we put her outside in the garden regularly, she has lots of company and hasn't been ill recently.

It has happened occasionally over the last couple of months but I would like to rectify if anyone can help?

Many thanks!
nycmommy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Advice on how to stop my dog going to loo inside the house!

Postby nycmommy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:11 am

Has there been any stress? Fireworks or foxes seemed to trigger my girl. And of course, once they go on your carpet (it's always the carpet...) the smell is there and they are like, "Oh, this is a good spot."
Nothing really gets the smell out, that said, the latest product I bought has worked better than anything else, I got it in Waitrose, "Dr Beckmann Pet Stain & Odor Remover" it has a funky brush attached to the top. 
But, could be at UTI, I would call the vet. Hope that helps.
MagnoliaMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MagnoliaMum » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:22 pm

What a nuisance for you, but I know of this happening with some of my friends' dogs too. It's right that you need to clean away the total smell, like the poster above says, otherwise the dog will recognise that as one of their places to poo. You need something that will clear all the enzymes, not just what we humans can smell - a good option is to use a bio washing liquid, dilute a bit of that and use it to clean the area thoroughly, maybe the entire floor if it's a hard one. And then try to watch for her patterns as to when she goes or when you see the warning signs, circling and sniffing, and put her straight in the garden and hopefully she'll get back into her old good habits again.
WoofWoofWoof
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby WoofWoofWoof » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:04 pm

There hasn't been any stress that I can think of. We were away before Christmas but she stayed with her regular dog sitter and all seemed to be well when she returned to us. I will make sure that I clean the area thoroughly and watch hr like a hawk over the next few weeks. I will try the product suggested too Dr Beckmann Pet Stain & Odour Remover"
I have also asked the dog sitter if anything strange happened when she went to stay with them pre Christmas.

Good to know that it isn't a totally out of the ordinary thing to happen.

Cheers!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.