Girls secondaries - what's the real vibe?

4 posts
koala8
Options:
Share this post on:

Girls secondaries - what's the real vibe?

Postby koala8 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:57 am

Hi, I am interested in girls independent and grammar options for my daughter. I hear a lot about mental health, bullying, disordered eating etc among local 'high-flying' schools and I wonder if anyone with girls at the following schools might share a bit on what it's really like - welcoming and supportive or a hot-house? Also interested in disciplinary approach - are they nurturing and restorative, or more punitive? How inclusive an ethos have they of neurodiversity/SEN? 

Thanks in advance for any views on
- Wimbledon high
- Putney high
- Streatham and clapham high
- Tiffin girls

Thanks a lot
Btw7
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Girls secondaries - what's the real vibe?

Postby Btw7 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:29 pm

Each school has different ethos. They are pretty open about them so it is important to choose what would best fit your daughter.

Wimbledon high is very competitive and full of Alfa type girls. You can gather this from open days, I went to one this year and the head was asked about sets and she replied they set girls only in math and she get it is hard as all the girls there are used to be the best of their class in primary. So even if a girl gets prepped a lot to pass the entrance exam, she will struggle if she is not really top and have loads of mental health issues. It is not the same level as JAG and you do not hear stories of widespread anorexia or mental health issues but you need to have the right type of competitive girl to be happy there.

Streatham and Clapham high is more relaxed. The new head describes it for “quirky” girls, so it is more suitable for girls that are more creative and are strong in sport, art, music, not only academically. It is a more rounded and supportive environment, but might be not challenging enough for the typical over achiever perfectionist girls.
Jonny Dyson Property Consultants
Share this post on:

Postby Jonny Dyson Property Consultants » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:18 pm

I know you haven't mentioned it, but have you thought about Woldingham?  We looked at all the ones you mention for our two girls, and then someone suggested Woldingham.  Yes, it's a 25 train journey from Clapham Junction, but the school itself is superb - set in 700 acres and with its own train station, it really is a world away from London, and our two girls love it.  Our eldest is also autistic and they have been brilliant with her.

Just a thought...

Jonny
We offer clients invaluable insight and support in their acquisition, rental, investment and development of London residential property.
Vista321
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Vista321 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:20 pm

utney High, Wimbledon High and Tiffin girls are all highly academically competitive to secure a place. Once there, if your daughter is genuinely bright (Cat score above 125 at least), and not over tutored to get in, they’ll be fine. They all deliver an excellent education.
What is hard is being in a school when you’re surrounded by very high achievers, many of whom have alpha personalities (not all of course). Girls do develop at different rates and their ability at 11 years old is not indicative of their academic results in public exams but these schools move through the curriculum quickly and don’t overly support those who are struggling. Neurodiversity and SEN are supported but this isn’t exactly a USP of these schools.
Streatham and Clapham, Sydenham High, Woldingham, Sutton High are excellent schools with great exams results but are more nuturing, supportive of neurodiversity and SEN and deliver a less hot-house and competitive type environment.
In my experience, it isn’t actually the schools that differ that much, it’s the peer group. Central London schools are generally more academically competitive than those slightly further afield (Tiffins’ Nonsuch, Wallington excepted, as they’re grammars and therefore non fee paying).
Hope that helps you to work out which is best for your daughter.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.