Very fussy baby with finger foods-any suggestions??

4 posts
klo
Share this post on:

Postby klo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi there. im cureently looking after an 11 month old who is a fairly good eater generally (she has her off days like all babies) but she is very fussy when it comes to finger foods.

We had a recnt break through in that i realised it was more the texture/feel of fruit she dosnt respond well too as she will eat raisins and dried fruit and toast/fruit toast/ muffins with only a smidge of butter but as soon as you give banana, peas anything like that its from the hand to the floor. She will eat dried fruit, dried cereal, crackers, breadsticks, toastm most of the time as well as her meals but this varies as she has a definate sweet tooth although iv tried not to overlly encourage this.

I am happy for her to experiment, feel, get used to foods through playing with etc as i know exploring this is half the journey to babies then eating foods offered to them but she has been offered finger foods from 9 months and still its the dried food thats the winner even though she is offered a wide selection of foods fruit,veg,cereals etc. She will eat fruit and veg in her baby food (i have one bowl i feed her from and another static bowel that sticks to her tray that has finger foods in. Tried many things, sometimes i give the bowel before her food, sometimes after, sometimes just the tray. I have given just veg before and then just dried and tehn a mix of the 2 etc but still she is strong in her prefernce. I know its not a race and happy for her to get their in own time just wondered if all you helpful mummies/nannies had any good ideas??

Tomorrow im making fruit pancakes with vanilla for mum and dad to try at the weekend for breakfast. Yum!! :)
klo
Share this post on:

Postby klo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi there. im currently looking after an 11 month old who is a fairly good eater generally (she has her off days like all babies) but she is very fussy when it comes to finger foods.

We had a recent break through in that i realised it was more the texture/feel of fruit she dosnt respond well too as she will eat raisins and dried fruit and toast/fruit toast/ muffins with only a smidge of butter but as soon as you give banana, peas anything like that its from the hand to the floor. She will eat dried fruit, dried cereal, crackers, breadsticks, toast most of the time as well as her meals (lumpy/textured baby food ie chicken pureed with rice or pasta stars) but this varies as she has a definate sweet tooth although iv tried not to overlly encourage this.

I am happy for her to experiment, feel, get used to foods through playing with etc as i know exploring this is half the journey to babies then eating foods offered to them but she has been offered finger foods from 9 months and still its the dried food thats the winner even though she is offered a wide selection of foods fruit,veg,cereals etc. She will eat fruit and veg in her baby food (i have one bowl i feed her from and another static bowl that sticks to her tray that has finger foods in. Tried many things, sometimes i give the finger food bowl before her baby food, sometimes after, sometimes just foods on the tray. I have given just veg in her bowl before and then just dried ifoods and then a mix of the 2 etc but still she is strong in her preference will pick out the dried foods and discard the others on the floor.

I know its not a race and im happy for her to get their in own time, I just wondered if all you helpful mummies/nannies had any good ideas??

Tomorrow im making fruit pancakes with vanilla for mum and dad to try with her at the weekend for breakfast. Yum!! :)
susiep23
Share this post on:

Re: Very fussy baby with finger foods-any suggestions??

Postby susiep23 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:48 pm

actually i meant to say offered finger foods from 6 months (when a few teeth appeared :)
cosmopolitanmum
Share this post on:

Re: Very fussy baby with finger foods-any suggestions??

Postby cosmopolitanmum » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:06 am

how about presenting the finger foods in a different way? e.g. cutting them into different shapes? i used to make a smiley face out of fruit for my little one and that seemed to be more appetizing. Also maybe reduce the choice and rotate with different finger foods? Baby led weaning book by Gill Rapley is good. Good luck!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.