BCG vaccine

4 posts
SwedishMomma
Options:
Share this post on:

BCG vaccine

Postby SwedishMomma » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 am

Hello,

I have an appoinment for my 5-week old son to take the BCG vaccine (tuberculosis) this Saturday. It's quite a nasty jab, and I'm a bit wary of having him take it this early. He also still has breastfeeding jaundice, and is still being monitored for liver problems (although it will probably clear up on its own). So was thinking that I'd wait a while until he's completely healthy? Did anyone have the BCG done this early, and if so, what was your experience?
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: BCG vaccine

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:54 am

You don't have to get it so early. They should be able to reschedule you for a few weeks down the line. My 2 didn't have the BCG because it wasn't on the must have list at the time.

But I do advise everyone to get vaccinated! The disease is sooo much worse than the shot!
irishbaby
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby irishbaby » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm from Ireland and over there they routinely give the vaccine at 3-4 days just before discharge from the hospital. So the babies are really really new born! My daughter was 4 days old when she got hers and had no ill effects from having it that early but maybe you should hold off until your son is completely better.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:08 pm

In france you have after the baby is 1 month old. As a previous post I would strongly advise to reschedule it.
The jab is not that nasty, for both my children they barely have cried (2 seconds while the needle was in) then you have a spot for about a year but it doesnt itch or do anything. The disease is terrible so get the jab.
Be aware that if you do the jab after the baby is 3 months old, he should first be checked that he hasnt been in contact with the disease. It is another needle and you watch it for 48hrs, if the skin doesnt react it means you can go ahead with the jab...
My surgery doesnt do routine BCG, I had to go privately or in France. Ask yours what they do if your child is >3 months old

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.