charity shops pushing the boat!

13 posts
lawrence
Options:
Share this post on:

charity shops pushing the boat!

Postby lawrence » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi.
I love charity giving to and buying occasionally.
But this days they really pushing their boat blinded by money.
Today two glass jars from pound shop in the charity age concern tooting..1.99
fara;H&M tshirt 4.99 worn
new at H&M also 4.99
writting book kids 1.99 oxfam balham,exact same pound store 99p.
cardigan gap 13.99£ worn(hole on the back),new 19.99£ gap store
I Feel really angry cause charity shops are meant to help people.and poorer people also buying there,so sadly they will be loosing customers the way they started overprizing things.
I love giving for a good cause dont get me wrong,i have hours of volunteering work done,but they should be realistic when prizing second hand items,not overprizing them.Pls continue giving and buying but really should comment if things r oveprized!
Good day!
Im interested to hear your opinions!!??? :arrow:
Suzy K
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: charity shops pushing the boat!

Postby Suzy K » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm

It's funny, I had the exact same thought the other day. I dropped a load of stuff at the Trinity Hospice shop in Balham and had a look arounds whilst I was in there (I love charity shop bric-a-brac so I am not new to charity shop buying) and I was honestly amazed at some of the prices. Outside of London I am sure things would not cost this much. Do charity shops get a better deal on rents (I have no idea) or are they struggling as much as everyone else to cover that cost? I disregarded quite a lot of stuff due to the price which is shame but I felt the prices were too close to retail prices to warrant buying second hand.
sezwedz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sezwedz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm

I shop and donate to the Fara on Chatham road and it just seems they are getting really greedy. Occasionally I have bought things from there for a certain amount, my daughter has worn for a year and I donate back to them and they put it on for the double the price I paid first time around. Crazy.
lawrence
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lawrence » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:29 am

yes,thank you.very close to retail prize.they are getting greedy and pushing customers away what a shame.pls keep expressing ur opinions,its good to hear,i felt so bad writing about it,but glad im not the only one who feels this way.Good weekend!
MrsAmanda
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrsAmanda » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:50 pm

I donate the boys' castoffs to Fara. I've seen their stuff on the rails priced at more than I paid when new!

One charity shop was asking £25 for a very ordinary vase. It had a sticker underneath, came from Tesco. I'm not convinced it was cost that much when new, either.

kiwimummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kiwimummy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:03 pm

i went to fara kids for the first time today, and we found the prices reasonably high too. i was quite surprised.
lawrence
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lawrence » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:44 pm

and thats my point,u cant sell vase from tesco for25£..ore h&m tshirts for£5
old.Its a shame that they are pushing people away...and its meant to be charity for good cause and good way to recycle but not with those prizes.
thanx for your replies.xxx
DinosMom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby DinosMom » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 am

I shop at Fara off Northcote Rd and, yes, for 2nd hand items they can be pricey. I actually prefer to choose my own charities and re-sell my used items direct to someone. This is a more American model, but, hey, I'm American and used to having someone show up at my doorstep within minutes of posting something for sale on Craigslist! Then my family donates money to several charities that we have thoroughly researched and hand picked. (And use the extra funds for new kid's clothing, etc.. they are always growing! :-) It is so hard to sell your items here. I have half a conservatory full of used baby items....
runningmummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby runningmummy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:33 am

I used to go to Fara all the time on northcote road and balham and I also donated. However, the last few years I have stopped going as their prices have become ridiculous. For example a top is sold for £3 when it only £4 new in a shop and so on. It just doesn't offer value for money. It makes me sad as I would really like to support the charity through purchasing at their store but in cases like the one above it is pointless for me. I also think the new staff working in them these days are pretty rude and useless too

sallyarmyshop
Share this post on:
Location: Salvation Army Shop - 199-201 Wandsworth High Street

Postby sallyarmyshop » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Well, what can I say - Here in Wandsworth High Street we are currently running a half price sale on furniture until Wednesday, our dresses are on sale at £3 each and we always sell our books at buy 1 get one free1......If you have at least 3 bags of clothes/boxes of books or dvds/cds we can collect..!! Telephone 0208 871 1812 between 10am and 5pm...We pride ourselves in being OF the community, IN the community and working FOR the community....
sallyarmyshop
Share this post on:

Postby sallyarmyshop » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Us Again.....

Take a look at this link:

http://www.mycharityshop.com/browser/sh ... =wandsally

Many thnaks

Richard
sallyarmyshop
Share this post on:

Postby sallyarmyshop » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 pm

Good Evening

Many thanks to the sudden increase in calls from people across the borough offering their donations and also bringing them in....Many thanks to Annabels Arcade for this opportunity get our message out...
Richard
fionapm
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby fionapm » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:56 am

Can I just say how great it was that Sally Army Shop posted as herself, rather than "my name is Mary I find the army shop really good because xyz". It's very annoying when fake posters pop up, and I am much more inclined to go somewhere if the staff are straightforward and transparent about promoting their business in an honest way.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.