Talk to me about family cars!

3 posts
momtomum
Share this post on:

Talk to me about family cars!

Postby momtomum » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 am

Hello.

Our family of soon to be seven is moving to the Wandsworth area of London from the USA in June. We're researching options for a car. Guessing we won't need one day to day to get the kids to school, but we will want one for errands, bad weather, trips out of the city. We need a 7 seater.

We thought we'd get a car lease (we have a car allowance through my husband's employer), but looking at used car prices we're wondering if we should just buy a used car. Any thoughts? It seems like the prices on used cars in the UK are much lower than in the US. Is there a reason why?

And then tell me everything else about cars and kids. Do strollers fit behind the third row of the cars like the Zaphira? How do we fit car safety seats in for all the kids (ages 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 - I know this is a lot of little people, we adopted two close in age to our biological kids!).

Thanks! So much to learn. Really appreciate all advice on this and pretty much anything you think I need to know as a mum of 5 in your area!
Emilie1
Share this post on:

Re: Talk to me about family cars!

Postby Emilie1 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Hi,

We had twins after we adopted a baby-boy and needed a car big enough to accommodate three baby seats in a row whilst still having space in the boot. We went for the XC90 Volvo but I do not think that would be suitable for you with 5 kids.

The Chrysler Grand Voyager and the Mercedes Viano are the best ones. They would have enough space behind the three rows of seats. My husband was not keen on them because he found them too huge but even with "only" three kids we still have to put a box at the top of XC90 for suitcases when we go on holiday since the doubble buggy takes all the space at the back! ;-)

Please let me know if you have found a network of other adoptive mums in the area. I posted a message 5 days ago to try to reach to other mums of adopeted children but have not received a reply yet. Maybe it is too early.

All the best for your new life in the UK.

E
Raspberry-Sorbet
Share this post on:

Re: Talk to me about family cars!

Postby Raspberry-Sorbet » Sun May 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi - hope you move goes well. What a lot of little people! We 2 children but found our regular sized car too small. We bought a Ford Galaxy from Addison Lee - a taxi firm here in London - apparently 2nd biggest in the world. They sell their taxis after 3 years so they have around 100 000 miles on the clock but seem to be very reliable which is why Addison Lee only buy the Ford Galaxy for their taxis.
They have their own website with the cars on they sell - they go very quickly but they have new ones everyday. They are all identical apart from some are in slightly better condition than others but otherwise all the same model in black with tinted windows. Full service and mot. They were also incredibly kind and changed the arm rests, cam belt and a few other things for no extra £. They like to look after families as they don't get many buying, it's normally other mini cab firms. My husband thinks it's London's best kept secret but maybe not any more!!!
http://www.addleecarsales.com/
I think the Zafira would be too small. I normally have the back seats down and the boot is huge but even with the back seats up, there is enough room for a buggy in the boot and the middle seats slide forwards and back so you can have quite a big space in front of them - I sometimes slide my buggy in there.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.