Gluten free/wheat free/dairy free? Help!

19 posts
momtomum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Gluten free/wheat free/dairy free? Help!

Postby momtomum » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 pm

We eat gluten and dairy free sometimes. One of our kids has a dairy allergy and we try to limit the processed grains in our diet anyway, so many of the things I cook are gluten and dairy free.

If you cook most things from scratch, avoiding wheat and dairy is not too hard. However, it is hard and expensive to eat at restaurants and to buy packaged or processed foods that are wheat and dairy free. If you are a family that often eats bread, cheese, milk and pasta you may be in for some big changes. But there are lots of great alternatives out there!

As much as possible, stick to eating whole foods rather than looking for highly processed milk or wheat replacements.

Here are some examples of what we eat when we're avoiding gluten and dairy:

-Hot porridge made from quinoa, gluten free oatmeal or brown rice topped with some cinnamon, nuts, fruit and a bit of coconut milk - or cooked in the winter with a bit of pumpkin
-Smoothies made with berries, bananas, rice/coconut/almond/soy milk, possibly some protein powder or peanut/almond butter
-Eggs cooked with some vegetables and some ham, you could serve with some gluten free bread (worth learning how to bake this at home!)
-Stir fried meat, tofu or chicken and vegetables on rice with a yummy sauce, my favorite is with a peanut sauce made with coconut milk
-Soups - so many work without dairy and wheat: beef stew, chili, chicken tortilla soup, lentil soup, tomato, minestrone, etc.
-Indian Dahl and rice with some curried vegetables
-Any sort of grilled or roasted meat served with veggies and potatoes or a grain like rice or quinoa
-Salads (I've found my kids will eat salads if I don't give them lettuce...they like everything else like carrot, tomato, etc). Top with corn, black beans, salsa and tortilla chips?
-Mexican food like tacos made with corn tortillas instead of wheat tortillas
-Asian food - spring rolls made with rice paper or a stir fry made with rice or buckwheat noodles
-For dessert, something like baked fruit works well. There's yummy coconut milk ice cream. You could also look into "raw food" recipes for desserts. Our family enjoys a "raw" pie made out of almonds, dates, cashews, apples, cinnamon and honey.

You can definitely enjoy a wide variety of foods if you cook at home!!
Kate @TPC
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kate @TPC » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Have you seen Harry Eastwood heartache and red vevet chocolate cake?. All her recipes are made using rice flour and vegetables instead of butter/marg.. It's a gorgeous book and the cakes are great!
lucystephens
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby lucystephens » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi!

Have a look at the information about the Paleo diet. I hate using the word 'diet', because for me that has associations with weight loss etc. It's just a traditional way of eating that doesn't include dairy, grains or legumes. It's based on the way the human body evolved to eat and there is a ton of information out there.

Have a look at:

www.thepaleodiet.com

www.civilisedcavemancooking.com

www.nomnompaleo.com

www.balancedbites.com

amongst others! Loads of great recipes and ways of adapting favourites like pizza etc - although it can be difficult sometimes to find good enough 'replicas' of old favourites. Other good books that I recommend to patients are:

Eat like a dinosaur
Practical Paleo
Nourishing Traditions
Gut And Psychology Syndrome

Hope that helps and good luck!! If you want any more advice, just shout - lucy@revaclinic.com
CynthiaSW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CynthiaSW » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:02 pm

I find the free from range slightly dry and almost like dust to be honest.

My personal opinion of course, many of the replies give great sources other than 'free from'

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.