Long-haul flight toys - recommendations please!

22 posts
8han
Share this post on:

Long-haul flight toys - recommendations please!

Postby 8han » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:11 pm

We're going to Singapore and Melbourne with a 3.5yr old and 2yr old in a couple of months and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for toys/books/distractions to take on board our flight? Am dreading it!

And if you've got any other tips on surviving a 13hr and 7hr flight that'd be great!
Funlovingchildcare
Share this post on:

Re: Long-haul flight toys - recommendations please!

Postby Funlovingchildcare » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi There,

We've just returned from a mammoth trip to Fiji via Korea with my 3 year old, who was 2 at the time and we bought a portable DVD player. It's the best thing that we have ever bought. It did the trick and also the fact that the air hostess says that we had to do up our seat belts while we took off made him sit down for most of the flight as he thought you had to be like that for the entire flight! :lol:

Books and fave toys are also good too.

Good Luck and have a lovely trip. :D
zrob
Share this post on:

Postby zrob » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm glad I saw this post. A great friend of mine is going to Australia with her 11 month old and she is rather anxious about him being noisy on the plane. If anyone has ideas for this age I'm sure she would be really grateful for any tips.

Hope you don't mind me asking this on your post. All the best with your trip.

Thanks!
2boys
Share this post on:

Postby 2boys » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I did a similar trip (Singapore/Sydney) with a 2 year old and a 5mth old. Definitely recommend the portable DVD player - check the battery life, it might be worth holding back on using it until the second leg of the flight if you can.

The other thing that I did was to buy some new but small toys, I left them in the packaging ready to open on the flight. Sticker books were also a hit.

Good luck with the flight!
juliantenniscoach
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Crayola colour magic pens. Entertaining and no mess - result!

BalhamMumWorkingFT
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Seasoned traveller...

Sony portable DVD has a 5 hour battery life... I have an iPad which does the trick and 10 hours of battery life. Although it is a bit pricey if that is all you'll use it for!There are headphones you can get for kids as well that are sound controlled so they don't get loud enough to cause hearing damage (or so they say).

Crayola "no mess" books and pens are great as well as sticker books.

My son loves matchbox cars so we had a few "surprise" presents for him throughout the flight!

Bring empty cups with secure lids as well... they tend to give kids open cups with straws (not very helpful).. and lots of snacks. We also bring a pillow with us because they need to get comfortable to sleep too!
Because sleep is the best way to spend any time in the sky!

Good Luck.
8han
Share this post on:

Postby 8han » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Some fab ideas thanks!

Great idea Julian and BMWFT about Crayola pens. Also BMWFT about empty beakers. 2boys - will definitely get sticker book thanks!

Wasn't sure about getting a portable dvd player at first as we're on Singapore Airlines airbus and they should have good entertainment but now I think I will definitely get one as it would be handy to have their faves with us. Was also advised to get a headphone splitter so they don't fight over it! Also going to purchase a headphone adaptor thing for inflight shows so they can wear their own headphones rather than than the airlines own as they'll probably keep coming off their little heads (they're only less than £1 on amazon).

3.5yr old bit young for Nintendo DS, anyone tried out the Leapfrog pads or similar?
Vives09
Share this post on:

Postby Vives09 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi

We took a leapfrog tag pen and a couple of books for our youngest once and it kept him and his brother happy for the flight and most of the holiday! They can 'read' the story to themselves with the pen, and they could touch the pen on any of the pictures to get more information, and do puzzles and extra bits on each page. I'd thoroughly recommend it. I thought that the noise might annoy other passengers but you could barely hear it above the general plane noise, so no problems there.
eli
Share this post on:

Postby eli » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 am

Just came home from a 10 hour flight with my 2 year old, the flight there was wonderful, believe it or not!! Definitely get the portable DVD player and all new toys, as the previous poster said, left in the new packaging. That way they can take their time looking at the package, opening it and then playing with it. I know it sounds silly but every occupied minute is a happy minute! And, hand on heart, the flight there was the fastest 10 hour flight I have ever done. Crazy, I would have thought just me and my son on a long flight would be murder, but it was lovely. One warning though, be sure to ask whether the arm rests move as the flight back was not so good (and my other half was with me on the way back) because he could not get comfortable enough to sleep or play.

sam
Share this post on:

Postby sam » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:48 am

Hey there, i just did a 15 hour flight with my 20 month old....as mentioned the dvd player was a god-send!!
i also bought a make bag and filled it with interesting things, "Tiger" in southside are full of bits that kids hav never seen b4 and keep them very interested.
The stickers idea is agreed defo...lotsa minutes spent putting stickers everywhere :)
I bought a mini sketch-a-sketch from Next which he loved.
magazines of his fave tv program are good with lots of pictures to colour and nearly always lots of stickers inside too!
Hope all goes well...dont forget the calpol, we ended up getting very sick on the way home and calpol was much needed :)
Hav a great holiday!
mummyof1
Share this post on:

Postby mummyof1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 am

Having flown lots of short haul and long haul - My tips are all the above + Have everything in a different bag - I use old make up bags or drawstring bags - as they get excited to see what is next. The usborne sticker books are very good. A lovely new book to read with your child and an old favourite. Also make sure you have changes of clothes for both you and the children - drinks get split so easily. I again make sure i pack complete outfits all together - so can easily grap bag ( nappy bags are good for this ) change and then put wet things safely away.

A variety of snacks are also good - for using time -and chewing helps in turbulence.

My last tip is your child to wear crocs - my child always wants shoes off but when you need to get to the toilet you want easy to put on shoes. Also you can easily wash and dry is any spills.
Good luck and its never as bad as you think it will be!
8han
Share this post on:

Postby 8han » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks for all your advice everyone, will definitely take them on board :lol:
BabyB
Share this post on:

Postby BabyB » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 pm

ipad. It's all you need. I went around the world for 3 months with my 20 month old... only "toy" I brought was an ipad for the plane rides. Just download all the right games and movies. Loads of educational games too that he loves.

MissP
Share this post on:

Postby MissP » Sat May 12, 2012 10:33 am

I have travelled many times to Australia with little ones. I would agree with sticker books and snacks that you know your kids will enjoy. I'm not sure I wd bother anymore with portable DVD players as inflight services are quite extensive these days. I wd def take extra clothes and a couple of plastic bags to keep dirty/wet clothes in. It might even be sensible to keep 3.5 yo in a nappy, just in case. When packing the nappy bag I put a clean nappy inside clean nappy sack so when you take them off to change nappies you just need to grab a bag and the wipes. Just makes life a little bit easier! There is a kids play area at Singapore airport and I generally head straight for it when I get there. They also have pushchairs to borrow at the information desk.
sparkletiger
Share this post on:

Postby sparkletiger » Sat May 12, 2012 11:37 am

Lots of great tips. Agree iPad is great. Also have games/apps on iPhone. Peppa pig episodes went down well. My 4 yr old has an in innotab which is a bit like a kids iPad and they can do drawing etc on it. Having things in separate bags a great idea. Was about to throw out a couple of old make up bags but will keep them. Those drawstring toiletry bags from Superdrug would work well and quite cheap. If long haul is also consider buying them a toy or even just a CBeebies mag at the airport. New things always seem to capture attention more. For little ones mummies boobs are very helpful!

Bon voyage

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.