What Baby Sling to buy!?

10 posts
RubyMum
Share this post on:

What Baby Sling to buy!?

Postby RubyMum » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello,

I want to buy a sling for my baby who is due in January. Last time we had a baby bjorn, which I didn't like as it really hurt my back and the baby didn't really like it either.

Has anyone got any recommendations of a sling that I can buy that is a great baby carrier. Someone mentioned one that you can breast feed the baby in at the same time....?

Thanks!

Rubymum
lemonzest
Share this post on:

Re: What Baby Sling to buy!?

Postby lemonzest » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi there,

Congratulations on your impending arrival!

I too was given 2 secondhand Baby Bjorns when my little one along. When she was tiny it was fine, and she enjoyed looking out... but I didn't rate it overall. I bought an Ergo and absolutely LOVED it. I was still carrying her (commuting for nearly an hour to CJ) until she was 18m+. And she was a chunky monkey. If I have another one I will buy the baby insert and use from birth - I can't tell you how much I love it - so comfy, and totally washable.

I think I've heard that you can breastfeed using some slings, but despite being a merry out and about breastfeeder i couldn't imagine it working for me.

Try http://www.bigmamaslings.co.uk/zen-cart/index.php for advice on which sling to buy.

Enjoy!
lemonzest
Share this post on:

Postby lemonzest » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 pm

PS sorry, I forgot to share a tip another Mum gave me: if you go for an Ergo, buy it new from eBay (I hope they're not one of the tax dodging companies and I'm about to get a thumping! If so apologies!) We bought ours in the car on the way to spend the Christmas period with the family, and some were going for nearer £55 than the (usual?) £90 odd rrp. People aren't really paying attention to online bidding at Christmas.
Wuzzaleena
Share this post on:

Postby Wuzzaleena » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Ergo's are great and I would thoroughly recommend however be very careful about buying from sites such as ebay as there are alot of fakes around.

http://www.ergobaby.eu/en/blog_31-as-se ... itain.html
Activemum
Share this post on:

Postby Activemum » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm

For a small baby (say up to 8 months or so), I absolutely loved my sleepywrap. I always fed in it when out and about and it was very discreet. It is so snug and cozy for winter too. When my babies were older I bought a beco butterfly 2, similar to ergo. I tried an ergo but preferred the beco because the straps were less bulky and you don't have to take the baby out to put on your back or to transfer to another wearer. There is fabric inside that the baby sits on rather than just being held close to your body. I have used a baby bjorn and think that they are awful! Really bad for the back.

bamse
Share this post on:

Postby bamse » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 pm

Beco Gemini is brilliant. Similar to Ergo but better in my opinion as you can also have baby outward facing when they get older and you don't need a newborn insert. My baby isn't a fan of the buggy so has spent a lot of time in the sling and there is a huge difference between this one and the baby Bjorn in terms of how it carries the weight of the baby. The BB hurts my back within 5 minutes but with the Beco she can be in there all day.
mummyjen
Share this post on:

Postby mummyjen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm

I loved my Calin Bleu micro fleece wrap for a winter newborn. They also do a cotton gauze version for warmer weather and/or when your baby is a bit bigger. Don't be put off by thinking a wrap is complicated - they come with excellent instructions and there are loads of videos on the web. Once you've tied it a few times, it is second nature. http://www.calinbleu.com

We also have an ergo baby carrier and they are great, especially when the babe is older and can go on your back.
erinisle22
Share this post on:

Postby erinisle22 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:21 pm

There are a few local(ish) sling meets and libraries where you can try things out/hire before you buy if that would help make a decision?

http://www.slingmeet.co.uk/forums/showt ... -Wimbledon

South London Sling Library
http://southlondonslings.com/

Good luck - I've got a baby bjorn that I'll probably use with no2 due in Jan also, but my friend used a baba sling quite effectively recently. Not sure if she ever worked out how to breastfeed in it though!
Mama
Share this post on:

Postby Mama » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Hello!

I had the Patapum for a toddler and it was great. It is the only one i have used with all of my children, I did a lot of tourism with a 1 year old on my back!! I am considering getting the Ergo for a newborn baby, not sure if worth the difference, but I haven't tried the Patapum for baby nor seen many reviews, which makes me think it may be better for toddlers. I got it from Littleposums (sorry if misspelled) too.
I hope you get the one that works wonderfully for you, it makes you feel so good to get it right!
Xx

Robyn
Share this post on:

Postby Robyn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 am

You should definitely try a Connecta, they are so easy to use and great to fold away in your bag.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.