Northcote Road is in Battersea!

2 posts
tony belton
Options:
Share this post on:

Northcote Road is in Battersea!

Postby tony belton » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:22 pm

Welcome to Battersea, mums of NappyValleyNet! Just for information the parish of Battersea and the parliamentary constituency of Battersea and the old Borough of Battersea, abolished in 1964 when Wandsworth was created, includes Northcote Road. Also for information, even though I acknowledge that Google has it wrong too, Clapham is that old village and town centre on the other side of the Common from we Battersea folk. More proof? Battersea Arts Centre in the old Town Hall, Battersea District Library on Lavender Hill, the myriad road signs that still say Borough of Battersea over Northcote Road, etc. It is a confusion shared by many and which occasionally causes the emergency services trouble as they get called to M&S Clapham and go to the real Clapham when someone meant Battersea (or Clapham Junction). And all because some nineteenth century railway entrepreneur called his station after the wrong place!

Let me introduce you to a website, you might wish to note. It is run by Tory councillor for Northcote, with a little help from me – so you see it is a bi-partisan appeal to love Battersea!

http://lovebattersea.googlepages.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Picture here by the way of the Northcote Road sign, labelled Borough of Battersea

PS I also, as it happens, virtually live in the Northcote Road!
Tony Belton, Leader of Wandsworth Labour Group
Tony Belton, Latchmere Councillor
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Northcote Road is in Battersea!

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:32 pm

thanks for the post Tony, but Clapham does sound SO much posher! :lol:

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.