advice on mock exams and coaching for independent 11+ entry this year

3 posts
MonkeySee
Options:
Share this post on:

advice on mock exams and coaching for independent 11+ entry this year

Postby MonkeySee » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:37 am

We've not gone the tutoring route as my son has done well throughout primary but I'm slightly panicking about how doing well in school is not the same as doing well on entrance exams. We've done some bond  and letts practice papers but I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for some mock exams in particular that have a written component as this will be on the entrance exams but isn't in the Bond / Letts multi-choice books. (English is actually his strong point, but again, having not gone to prep school he won't have practice with this type of writing necessarily.)

Likewise, realise most tutors may be booked up, but just asking on the off chance to see if anyone can recommend anyone for weekly sessions or even a few one of coaching sessions to make sure we do the right practice between now and the end of the year. We're over Streatham way but can travel.

thanks in advance
LHT courses
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: advice on mock exams and coaching for independent 11+ entry this year

Postby LHT courses » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Hello there,
We are a tutor agency in Clapham www.mentoreducation.co.uk who have been helping local children with their 11+ for over 25 years.

The transition from primary to independent/grammar can be quite daunting and often with little school advice or support available. 

We have a variety of very experienced local 11+ tutors and are also running 11+ Mock exams on Nov 9th and Dec 7th (9am - 1pm). The papers will include Comprehension & Creative writing, Maths and Verbal/Non-verbal/Spatial Reasoning.

Do call me if you would like to chat through your 11+ preparation as this can be a hugely stressful time.

Rachel Arbuckle
0208 883 2519

Mentor_Inspiring Individuals_RGB2.png

YoungGiants
Share this post on:

Re: advice on mock exams and coaching for independent 11+ entry this year

Postby YoungGiants » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 am

Hi there, 

As a qualified teacher I run Young Giants Tutoring and prepare a lot of students for 11+. My ethos is to build a child's confidence by helping them feel in control under test conditions. It's often nerves that can throw even the most competent child. 

I wrote and article about it for the InterSchools Advertiser this term if you have a copy?

I only work with experienced tutors for 11+ support and only those who share our child-centred ethos. We practice things like self-assessment and teach back, writing own papers and writing questions for the answers given (helps a child to see that they may have not answered the question given!).
All of these things help a child to understand the test from all angles and help them feel in control on the day. If a test of any kind can be re-framed for the child from 'scrutiny' to 'an opportunity for you to show them how wonderful you are' then performance can rocket. 

A lot of our 11+ tutors are fully booked (people tend to book in July for a September start) but we do have some available and one in particular I think might be a good match (Jenna), lives in Streatham. 

If you'd like to have a chat about your concerns in general then please do get in touch. 
For some reason I can't post a link here (I'm looking into this!) but you can find us online or on social media and it's myself or Ailsa who will answer you.

Look forward to chatting. 

Kind wishes, 

Jaime 

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.