4 month old still feeding constantly!!

3 posts
TeresaLi
Share this post on:

4 month old still feeding constantly!!

Postby TeresaLi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Hello, I have a 4 month old son, who is still breastfeeding around every 2.5 hours, and even during the night, there are rare occassions when he goes a bit longer but not often. He is a very healthy weight at 15lb 9oz, so I thought he would be able to go longer between feeds by now! Has anyone else experienced this? I'm worried he might be in the habit of feeding rather than actually needing the feed :?
klo
Share this post on:

Re: 4 month old still feeding constantly!!

Postby klo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Have you tried expressing to see how much milk he is taking in?? as you said he is a healthy weight and i assume produces lots of nappies?? (a good indictaion he's getting enough from his milk feeds) :), if so then maybe it could be time to introduce a little food if you think it is hunger??

I know on the norm its usually around 5/6 months to begin weaning but some babies are early starters some later.

You could try to give him something once a day (lunchtime is best to start incase has any tummy upset from new food to digest rather than evening time) and see if his appetite lessons for milk. If he takes to wanting some food you know he is ready for it. If you feel comfortable you could then express some milk feeds as you suggested it may be more for comfortthen for hunger that he wants many feeds then you could keep morning and night (bedtime) to breast feed?? just an idea

Just suggestions from things iv herd/tried/suggested to family,friends with young babies hope may help :)
moops
Share this post on:

Re: 4 month old still feeding constantly!!

Postby moops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello!

I would say at this stage he should be able to go at 3.5-4 hours between feeds. I would aim to feed him at 7am, 11am, 2.30, 5 and 6 or something like that depending on his sleeping habits. Try offering some cooled boiled water instead of milk when he's looking for food after 2.5 hours, it might just be a habit and then he will be hungrier for his next feed. I would suggest feeding him at 5ish then 6 or 6.15 after his bath then wake him up fully at 10.30 to feed him again. Hopefully he should be able to go a lot longer after this feed. Again if he wakes after 2.5 hours then I would try the water again. Of course you have to rule out hunger, I agree try expressing the 10.30pm feed so you know he's had enough. I did this with my Daughter and sometimes top her up with formula too. Good luck!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.