Natural ground subsidence

3 posts
Rob2021
Options:
Share this post on:

Natural ground subsidence

Postby Rob2021 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a flat in Clapham, close to Clapham Common tube.

The property Searches have highlighted: 'The property, or an area within 50m of the property, has a moderate to high potential for natural ground subsidence'.

The report shows that the area of >1 km radius around the building is in a high to moderate risk area for subsidence. There are hundreds of buildings within this radius. The building is 5 years old and in good condition. The homebuyers Survey I arranged for has confirmed that there is no evidence of cracks or structural movement problems.

My questions are - should I be concerned that the building is in an area with potential for natural ground subsidence? How common is this? Have any of you faced a similar situation before while buying a flat in Clapham?

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place or if there is an existing thread on the topic. Thank you in advance.
HR2611
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Natural ground subsidence

Postby HR2611 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 pm

Speak to your surveyor if you are concerned, but as your solicitor will probably also be able to confirm to you, most such searches in London reveal a potential for natural ground subsidence as the city is built on clay which is susceptible to movement.
Rob2021
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Natural ground subsidence

Postby Rob2021 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:19 pm

Hi, thank you, I will speak to my solicitor. If this is common in most surveys done for properties in London, I think I shouldn't be too concerned. I'm a first time home buyer so still figuring these things out. Thanks.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.