Potty Training tips

3 posts
DomsMom
Options:
Share this post on:

Potty Training tips

Postby DomsMom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Anyone had the same problem as us? Our 2 1/2 year old showed all the signs of being ready to be potty trained and since he is starting nursery school in 2 weeks time, we thought we'd go for it.
Day 1 was ok, Day 2 showed improvement (2 wees in the potty - hooray!) and since then nothing - he won't sit on the potty, just keeps wetting his underpants (we went cold turkey so nappies gone apart from at night).

Any tips on how to convince him to sit on the potty - we've tried bribes (smarties, promise of a bike he wants, his favourite DVDs) but it's not working. We're now on day 5 and whilst I realise potty training can take 1-2 weeks, I don't think we're actually progressing at all, in fact going backwards from Day 2...

Any tips (I've read Gina Ford - nothing there about what to do if your toddler won't sit on the potty!) and the Eric website....any personal experience??
kewty
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Potty Training tips

Postby kewty » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi DomsMom

I felt very smug having potty trained my daughter within a week aged 2, but then she went backwards with lots of accidents, but now she is doing really well and have (touch wood) had no accidents for a very long time.

I had bought her pretty nickers/pants which she wore from day one telling her that they were big girl pants and that only babies wore nappies, if there was an accident I told her that she and hurt her pretty pants and they were very sad, and if she didn't look after them she would be back in babies nappies which she really didn't want. Also regulating her water/fluid intake to meal times only, means that you can pretty much guess when they will go to the loo down to the minute.

Have you tried skipping the potty and using a small seat on the loo, you can get some fun ones.

Also having the child around their friends when they use the loo/potty and telling them how clever they are seemed to work a treat.

I have to admit, I never read any advice books on this, I just went with my gut and asked friend's and family's advice.

I know every child is different and that boys are different from girls, but I hope that my ramblings have helped a bit. Chin up and stick with it, it will click.

Kx
DomsMom
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Potty Training tips

Postby DomsMom » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks so much, we're a week on and had a few successes but still more accidents (about 8 a day now - down from 10!) than successes but he definately doesn't want to go back into nappies - I did ask him if he wanted to. Think it's taking him a while to feel the urge before he goes - as it happens, he knows about it and tells us but just not working out the signal thing before hand. Anyway, we soldier on....I'm told that it can take weeks if not months - I hadn't realised - only heard success stories like yours (ie trained in a week!).

Any more tips appreciated

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.