Stay BTC or move to Telford Park

4 posts
Freds Gang
Options:
Share this post on:

Stay BTC or move to Telford Park

Postby Freds Gang » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:14 am

Would love to hear from anyone who has made the move from the Northcote Road area to Telford Park and how do you find it. We are currently in a 3 bedroom flat but need more space and can't decide whether to buy a house around the Northcote Road area or whether to move slightly further out and benefit from more space. I love Northcote Road and everything it has to offer on our doorstep but my husband feels that more space will be worth its weight in gold as the children get older and moving now will save us having to move twice.
sid_seal
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Stay BTC or move to Telford Park

Postby sid_seal » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:29 pm

I live quite close to Telford Park and often walk/run/cycle through it. It's a lovely area, and you would definitely get more for your money than BTC. Many houses from the 1920s-30s, which are more spacious than the traditional Victorian ones, and bigger gardens.
You wouldn't have Northcote Road, but Streatham Hill has lots of shops and cafes, and you are still close to Balham.
Very close to Tooting Common.
You would have to consider how it would work for commuting time/school run depending on your children's age and on whether you would be looking at schools in the area - Streatham Hill has less frequent trains than Balham (let alone Clapham Junction), but Balham is quite close.
As you can guess, I am definitely in the "Telford Park" team - but I don't particularly like Northcote Road, so not living nearby is not a problem for me :-)
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:35 pm

People tend to do this move once the kids are or approaching secondary age. We have no intention to though. Tiny garden, decent sized house though. Like being close to transport as well as amenities.
HelenSWmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby HelenSWmum » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 pm

We moved from Balham to Telford Park 4 years ago, so I can’t compare directly to a move from BTC, but there are probably some parallels to be drawn. We moved for a larger house and garden, which has been hugely beneficial. We are still within walking distance of our children’s primary school, which was key for us (even when the kids were younger as they would scooter alongside us). Similarly, the centre of Balham itself is still within walking distance, but we find ourselves not going there as frequently as Streatham Hill has enough shops, bars, coffee shops for most of our needs (Batch/Estate Office/Hyde Farm for coffee, Streatham Wine House, SW16 Bar & Kitchen, M&S Foodhall, Co-op, Cornercopia etc). Telford Park tennis club is a focus for social events in the area (but has a long waiting list to join), there is an active residents’ association that arranges events (fireworks night, street parties) and The Streatham Place Project also hosts comedy, literature etc events.

In terms of transport links, it is better connected than I think many people realise. The trains from Streatham Hill station are less frequent than Balham/CJ etc, but it is very well served by buses. I usually take a bus to Brixton (at peak times I don’t usually wait longer than a couple of minutes) and then jump on the tube from there (I find the Victoria line much more pleasant than the Northern line and even get a seat!). Plus Tooting Common on our doorstep. We’d definitely recommend the area.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.