Grandparents treat my children differently to their cousins

3 posts
SIMMI
Options:
Share this post on:

Grandparents treat my children differently to their cousins

Postby SIMMI » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:19 pm

My in laws, in particular my FIL increasingly treat my two children differently to their same age cousins in what I feel is becoming unkind. My husband, who up to this last weekend seemed to be in denial witnessed my FIL's cruelty first hand over green beans of all things, which resulted in my two being asked to get down from the table whilst praising his other two grandchildren for having for having such 'proper grown up tastes' ! Disappointingly my SIL did nothing to help.

Doesn't seem like a big deal but there was a trip to the traditional sweet shop for their cousins, not for my two etc. I would like to call them out and I would like an apology, I think that my FIL is a bully.  My husband is embarrassed but wants to let it go as they are old and traditional and his father isn't brilliantly well. Not sure what I should do other than refuse to let my children spend any time with them which my husband won't condone either. Help! At my incensed wits end.
Needcoffeenow
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Grandparents treat my children differently to their cousins

Postby Needcoffeenow » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:48 am

How old are your children and how far away do the grandparents live? Do they have to stay with them when they visit? He does sound like a bit of a bully but, more importantly, he is making a drama about food, with a ‘punishment’, which is not good. Have your children said how they feel about it to their father?
Flowermummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Grandparents treat my children differently to their cousins

Postby Flowermummy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:16 am

Just call it out if it bothers you!
Why wait? They are your children and closer to you than your FIL. If he doesn’t like it, that’s his business to manage.
Also ask the children how they feel about it, if they don’t like it teach them how to teach respond back nicely, after all he won’t be the last bully they face.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.