Aupair / housekeeper with settled status available

13 posts
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Aupair / housekeeper with settled status available

Postby Dania-aupair » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:21 pm

What's going on with the English families who won't even talk to candidates unless they are Aussies, Kiwis, or Canadians? Does this mean that having settled status and a preference for grey skies count for nothing?
If it is the prospect of hearing a flat Italian intonation that understandably terrifies you, I'm glad to report that my accent allegedly sounds Dutch. Besides, someone who doesn't like coffee but loves rice pudding cannot seriously be regarded as Italian. I'm even working on cutting down my Mediterranean open and sunny disposition, to better fit with Londoners.
On top of that:

-- I enjoy cooking everything you fancy (have also been a catering assistant at a private girls' school), from lasagne to shepherd's pie, through to Chinese sticky chicken and vegan cakes for when you are feeling suicidal;
-- I'm happy to help with school runs, ironing, cleaning, making beds, and any errands too, like a proper girl-Friday (or Saturday, or Sunday);
-- The families I've worked for are all in Putney, handy to speak with, and none have reported casualties.
-- I'm near Surbiton handy to meet in person (isn't it better than taking chances? And flight chaos won't touch us);
-- In my mind I'm still a teen. Which I know in a way is alarming, but I mean it in a good way. I don't wear pre-torn jeans, I just retain the same spontaneity. So you have an au pair who has more experience than an 18 year old yet the same heart: what's not to love?

Talking of more things that may scare you off: I grew up in foster care, so I wouldn't recommend hiring me if you dislike unspoilt people. On the upside, if I survived foster families any challenge a host may present will likely be a cakewalk!

Other essential info: I don't smoke or drink, prefer parks and galleries over pubs and clubs, so I'm not the kind of au pair who disappears at weekends, but if you fear I would set camp in front of telly or have raves in your kitchen, just picture yourself wondering: "Is Dania out, or writing in her room as usual? I hope she shares some profit when her books get published."

Lastly, I'm in England permanently so can be with you without limitations. Snatch me up before I become a full-grown adult (in about 50 years). All you have to do is text or call 07513868030 and say you are a fastidious family with older kids. 

Last edited by Dania-aupair on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Aupair / housekeeper with settled status available

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:10 am

We are past the au pair stage now but just wanted to say I love your post, you sound hilarious! I would have snapped you up in a heartbeat 5 years ago!

Good luck with your search although I’m sure you won’t need it, au pairs with settled status are like hens teeth so I’m sure you’ll be with your new host family in no time.
gemima
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby gemima » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:00 am

Hi Dania,

I love this.  So funny!  Can you be my friend anyway? I am of Italian origin.  I am currently unemployed, but as soon as I get back to work we will need after-school pick up, but you probably need many more hours than that.  

Due to Brexshit, there are far fewer au pairs available so I am surprised if you are not snapped up in 5 secs flat.

Please do DM me if you would like to chat.

Kind Regards
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:18 am

@AbbevilleMummy
Thank you, glad you enjoyed my post! Unfortunately no family with kids 10+ seems interested, as I'm getting no replies at all. Must be the recession?

@gemima I'm surprised too. Some families apparently prefer to pay for flights rather than interviewing someone who is already in London!
SunnySW
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SunnySW » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:44 pm

It might be the time of year that’s the challenge. We already have our au pair through to the summer so won’t be looking til then - but would be interested in a chat if you’ll be available in Aug/Sept.
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
https://www.john-thorogood.co.uk
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
Chestnutpot
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Chestnutpot » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi Dania,

Your post made me smile, too!
I suspect that once the children are 10+ families will need less support, so with the increase in the cost of living an aupair to help with older children might seem an unnecessary expense.
Maybe consider branching out to younger children, for instance for school pickup if you don't want to be a nanny for pre-schoolers? (not something that I need, just as general advice :-)
Good luck!
AbbevilleMummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AbbevilleMummy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:17 pm

I agree, it’s the 10+ that’s letting you down. Many parents don’t need help with that age group especially as so many of us can now wfh as kids that age are quite self-sufficient for a couple of hours and don’t need taking to and from school.
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:54 pm

SunnySW wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:44 pm It might be the time of year that’s the challenge. We already have our au pair through to the summer so won’t be looking til then - but would be interested in a chat if you’ll be available in Aug/Sept.

True, I've been looking for a loong time, but on useless sites like AupairWorld. Wish I had known Nappy valley before! 
P.S. by the look of it I'll still be available in August, so feel free to text me for a chat. 
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:02 pm

Chestnutpot wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:57 pm Hi Dania,

Your post made me smile, too!
I suspect that once the children are 10+ families will need less support, so with the increase in the cost of living an aupair to help with older children might seem an unnecessary expense.
Maybe consider branching out to younger children, for instance for school pickup if you don't want to be a nanny for pre-schoolers? (not something that I need, just as general advice :-)
Good luck!
I think so too! Although I'm not sure I understand how come there are families willing to pay £800+ a week + board a lodging for a full-time housekeeper, yet seemingly none who could use an au pair/housekeeper for a fraction of that money. It seems it's either all or nothing, if you see what I mean?

https://www.john-thorogood.co.uk
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:08 pm

AbbevilleMummy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:17 pm I agree, it’s the 10+ that’s letting you down. Many parents don’t need help with that age group especially as so many of us can now wfh as kids that age are quite self-sufficient for a couple of hours and don’t need taking to and from school.

Just a couple of points:
1) I mainly offer housework, cooking, and errands, which are useful to any age range.
2) All the six families I've worked for had kids 10 and older. 
3) Some parents travel and from what I know children cannot stay home alone if they are younger than 14? Not sure about this one, but anyway would you leave a ten year old "home alone" if you travelled abroad for work? That'd be pretty risky, judging by the film that goes by that name!

Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:06 pm

Bump!
Amebrennan
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Amebrennan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:43 pm

Hi Dania, would love to chat. Let me know how.
Thanks,
Anne-Marie
Dania-aupair
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Dania-aupair » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:22 pm

Hello Anne-Marie, sorry I only now saw your reply! That'd be great, feel free to contact me on 07513868030.
https://www.portico.com/valuation/

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.