Calling all bordoodle owners

4 posts
urbanblossom
Options:
Share this post on:

Calling all bordoodle owners

Postby urbanblossom » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:16 pm

Rather a random one....but does anyone happen to have a bordoodle (border collie x poodle) that I could please borrow for a day or two (or for whenever free dog-sitting might be needed), so I can ascertain whether or not my allergies are ok with the border collie part of the gene pool? My children and I are intent on adding a furry four-legged family member to our household, but as he or she needs to be hypoallergenic, we need to tread carefully to avoid heartbreak down the line. We know from previous long-term dog sitting that I'm not at all allergic to full poodles, nor to cockerpoos, although the cockerpoo we knew was a particularly "poodly" one - a dog where the non-poodle breed, whether Labrador, retriever, spaniel or collie, or whatever, was the more dominant part of the genetic mix might potentially be more allergy-triggering. Tricky to find out without spending time with one! I can of course provide dog-sitting references, to reassure anyone uncertain about lending their dog out to a randomer. I am also on borrowmydoggy.com, but bordoodles are proving a rather tricky breed to scout out. We live between the commons and I have two reasonably grown-up children of 8 and 10. Thanks, potentially, for your help! x
headshrinker
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Calling all bordoodle owners

Postby headshrinker » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:38 am

That is a really specific and unusual dog to have set your sights on. I am sure you have your reasons so not questioning that but just a word of warning that doodles (I have a poodle mix myself so I'm a fan!) are not like purebred dogs and come out in a variety of shapes, sizes and coats. They are overpriced mutts so you can't predict what a puppy's coat would turn out like. Might be safer to get a full poodle if you are confident that you can tolerate them. They are lovely family dogs and actually look pretty normal when they don't have a fancy haircut (in case that puts you off). I know of several people with allergies who had to give back doodle pups, even after testing themselves with exposure to other dogs and that's just devastating for everyone involved. 

Best of luck either way. Dogs are the best.
urbanblossom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby urbanblossom » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:12 pm

Thanks so much Headshrinker. I'm a big fan of full poodles too, and imo too, they look loveliest when without a fancy hair do! The bordoodle thing is to try to please my daughter who really wants a border collie (she's long had a fixation on them). You're right though, bordoodles must be quite unusual, because I'm finding it very tricky to find one!  But really, I think she'll fall in love with whatever dog ends up becoming part of our family. It's fun chatting it all through as a family at this thinking-about-it stage, but of course we can't agree yet on which breed, size, colour, gender!  :roll:
urbanblossom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby urbanblossom » Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 am

Jumping back on this post as part of my scout around for a poodle breeder - very sound advice from you Headshrinker that doodles are just too risky for allergic people like me, because the gene mix and hence the amount of allergen can vary so unpredictably. My children and I have fallen in love with the idea of getting a scruffy black poodle, ideally full-size, and so are on the hunt for any recommended breeders who raise puppies in a homely loving way (you hear so many horror stories of dodgy breeders), or just anyone in general that might have ended up having a litter of poodle pups for sale as a one-off. xx

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.