Testing for autism

7 posts
jellybean76
Options:
Share this post on:

Testing for autism

Postby jellybean76 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:15 am

Hi

I have a 23 month old daughter and my mother in law has said several times she thinks she may have aspergers. I have no experience or knowledge of this so wouldn't know what to look for. Has anyone out there had their baby tested for autism?
silviahm
Share this post on:

Re: Testing for autism

Postby silviahm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:21 am

Go straight to the National Autistic Society - www.autism.org.uk - they will give you good expert advice rather than trying to find an Educational Psychologist, as your little one is too little for that. The autism society will know where to go and how to get a real result if one is possible at this age.

They have been really helpful for a good friend of mine.
Sx
silviahm
Share this post on:

Postby silviahm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:40 pm

Sorry I've gone straight to the practicalities and have ignored the emotional. However you feel about it now, you're biggest thing is "she might not be" so rather than torturing yourself of what may or may not be, I would really recommend going to the nub of the problem. At this age it may not be clear either way, but your MIL must have a reason for saying this yet she may be wrong, she may be right.

If she is wrong, there is nothing in the world better than saying to your MIL, you're wrong (in the nicest possible way of course).

Equally if she is right, the sooner you know the better you can deal with it both for you and for your daughter.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Sx
claireread
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby claireread » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Do you know if your PCT does 2yr checks for children. Some PCT's still do them and some don't. A 2yr health review would look at her overall development and she could be referred for an more indepth check of development with a paediatrican in the community if you would like it. This is one of their many jobs and if she has got a problem then they are able to suggest appropriate services ie,speech and language. She may be fine though.... Hope that helps, Claire Read www.yourhealthvisitor.com
topmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby topmama » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:41 pm

Hello,
The diagnosis of autism is a medical diagnosis, ie; it done by a doctor, however good practice is that is done by a multidisiplinary team, usually involving a speech & language therapist (SLT), occupational therapist, paediatrician and an educational psychologist (EP). Most areas will have an autism assessment team who would receive referrals from professionals such as SLT, GPs, EPs or health visitors. Often children may not be referred before 2 years 6 months ish.

The diagnosis is based on behaviours so there is no blood test etc, the child would be observed, ideally in a range of settings, home, pre-school and clinic and the parents are asked questions and the child may be asked to complete some tasks.

It might be worth asking your mother in law why she thinks your daughter may have aspergers. Often aspergers is not diagnosed until children are older because the behaviours associated with aspergers are often more subtle than autism and do not always appear until a child is older.

I would go to your GP and speak to them if you are concerned but if you don't have concerns about your daughter then I wouldn't worry. :)
https://recentre-health.co.uk/womens-health-support/
https://www.flowan-health.com/
https://merrygoround.club/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wellbeing-guide
https://www.thesmartclinics.co.uk/
ally30_1998
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ally30_1998 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:27 am

I hope you have managed to get somewhere with this since you posted. I'd echo the poster who said there isnt a test as such. It's diagnosed by observing behavior and taking a detailed history and usually undertaken by a team of professionals.
I wonder why your MIL said this - does she have some experience of AS/Autism?
I would agree that contacting the National Autistic Society is the way to go initially as you are unlikely to get very far with your local health authority while your daughter is so young, unless she is having obviously observable difficulties.
Best of luck. If your daughter is AS, don't worry - its not life threatening!
Jetsettingbaby
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jetsettingbaby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:16 pm

My son is on the autistic Spectrum . He has just turned 2 and I sort of had a feeling that something wasnt right. He wasnt listening to me he isnt speaking no words at all, just babble, among a few other things . The first thing I did was ask my DR about his ears. Because a lot of children are thought to have autism when in fact its their ears. She may just need grommets. ONce I voiced my concerns I was sent to St Georges to get his ears tested, he was fine, then i had an hr and half session in St Johns center and they did a few tests on him. ( bring your partner to these, i went along and i was so upset when they told me he was on the autistic spectrum) didnt think it would hit me quite so hard.
They have been brilliant and my son is now going to the early bird program in Earlsfield and now they have caught it young there is lots they can do. i also changed his diet and give him a probitoic ( you can get this from whole foods in clapham) its really helped. I believe my sons autism is actually caused from the MMR vaccine and there is lots that can be done to "cure" him. If you want to ask me any thing else please please PM me. I would love to talk to you .
T

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.