How places were allocated for Wandsworth primary schools 2024

3 posts
Schools (admin)
Options:
Share this post on:

How places were allocated for Wandsworth primary schools 2024

Postby Schools (admin) » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 pm

We hope everyone with children starting Reception in September are happy with the primary school offer they received today.

Wandsworth Council have released information on how primary school places were offered this year: https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/media/mre ... s_2024.pdf 

We know this can be a stressful time for everyone, if the place you received isn't the one you had hoped for. However, waiting lists do move massively between now and September.

If you have any questions about a particular school that you'd like feedback on then the NappyValleyNet community is always a great place to turn to.

NVHusband
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How places were allocated for Wandsworth primary schools 2024

Postby NVHusband » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:47 am

The catchment areas have increased quite a bit across most of the schools. Whilst most of the popular schools are over subscribed, generally the catchment areas are higher than their historical averages.

I remember over the last 10-12 years where the majority of popular schools had to be a stone’s throw from the school (for the April results) in some years.

I can think a number of reasons:
- Brexit (less young European families),
- post COVID (many young families moved out of London due to WFH),
- implementation of catchment areas (forcing families to move out instead of “gaming the system”)
- house prices/ cost of living making Wandsworth unaffordable for young families
- historical “surge” in children of primary age is over and there is now somewhat over capacity

I have read a number of articles where primary schools are closing or merging in parts of London due to lack of demand.

I wonder if this is a longer term trend or just a lull.

I also wonder if the private schools in Wandsworth are being impacted by the above trends as well. I heard it is easier to get into the reception at prep schools now than previously (ie. Waiting lists are shorter with better chance being accepted) and there are open slots in the higher years not being filled (like the state schools).

Ps. Please don’t rant/ respond if you have an issue with a particular school.
2009Kat
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: How places were allocated for Wandsworth primary schools 2024

Postby 2009Kat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:48 pm

A lot of it is as you say the "surge" in primary schools pupils is over and the birth rate is lower now.  So there is over capacity in a lot of schools.  A couple of primaries have already closed/planned closure in Wandsworth.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.