Suggestions for a good family friendly ski resort?

8 posts
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Suggestions for a good family friendly ski resort?

Postby MGMidget » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:20 pm

We are planning to take our 4 year old skiing for the first time so looking for a resort that has good ski classes for young children (under 5) and family friendly accommodation. For us that includes either facilities to cook food for our child or a catered service that includes children's meals early in the evening. We'd prefer a child-friendly chalet or self catering apartment and we need at least two bedrooms, preferably three as we are taking our au pair. Also, to make it more complicated one of us doesn't ski so we would like a resort with other things to do nearby - fitness centre, spa, swimming pool, and other activities such as snow shoeing, sledding would be nice! Any ideas as to where we should go? We've left it a bit late to book I know so I'm struggling to find anything suitable! Thanks!
mummy_dani
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Suggestions for a good family friendly ski resort?

Postby mummy_dani » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I'm so jealous! I've missed skiing for the past couple fo years due to being pregnant and then having a tiny baby. I'm pregnant again so it'll be another couple of years before I can go!

Anyways, I'd defintiely recommend Val d'Isere. It's a beautiful resort, with lovely shops, bars and restaurants. We usually opt for self catered apartments when we go there. There is a spa, swimming pool, ice skating rink for non skiers and there are some lovely restaurants you could meet the skiers for lunch ... just jump on the cable car and it takes you straight there ... no need to ski at all.

The baby slope is next to cafes etc and so you could easily watch your little one in ski school.

You may want to check the snow at the moment though ... I think Switzerland just had a load (so much so that roads were closed and tourists couldn't get in or out) but most of the resorts have been really warm and snow free for the first part of the season. Val d'isere is high though and so it should be fine there.

Have a fantatsic time!
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi I worked 10 seasons in the ski industry so here are my thoughts for what it's worth. Val d'Isere is great but the transfer is a very long one and on peak weeks can be an absolute nightmare with young children. I did 4 seasons there I won't consider it until my children (now 4 & 2) are older.

Also don't expect your 4yr old to be in an all day ski school. That's too much. Instead of trying to find a resort that works, try to find a travel company that runs a combined creche/ski school.

We're travelling with Ski Espirit who have an excellent reputation for childcare. From there you can pick a resort that has activities for non skiers. Courmayeur and Chamonix come to mind and have short transfer times too. Courmayeur has an on slope creche too which is brilliant for popping in and checking how things are going without having to go all the way down the mountain.

You could also give Le Ski and Ski Famille a go too. Best of luck!
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Morzine is the main resort in the Portes du Soleil. It is very family friendly, lots of things to do (including NEW indoor swimming pool, ice skating, loads of shops, spas, etc...). The whole area in Portes du Soleil (including Lets Gets) is really wonderful...

I recommend looking online for a two/three bed apartment rental. It is usually the best way to go unless you want to have it catered.

They have a few different ski school options including a nursery / ski school. Our four year old just had a lesson 3 days for 2 hours, we then did a few runs with him, had lunch.. and took him home. I was hesitant about ski school as I really wanted him to learn how to ski. Next time, ski school as he took to it like a duck to water.

Good Luck.
Swmummyofboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Swmummyofboys » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I have to agree with Julian. Val d'Isere is brilliant but I would not go with children again. The transfer is too long. We went a couple of years ago and it took 5.5hours to get back to the airport because of terrible traffic. Not fun with an 18 month old baby!

We are also going away with Ski Esprit this year to Les Gets. Their Childcare is supposed to be excellent and they have different options that suits all three of my children who are at different ages (5,3 &1).
https://www.turquoiseholidays.co.uk/family-holidays
https://theluxurytravelboutique.com/offers/
http://travelmatters.co.uk
https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/41519498?source_impression_id=p3_1714405124_kj8a75Mrcv2NJB5j
https://www.chateaucapitoul.com/en/chateau-hotel-spa-and-luxury-villas-narbonne
http://www.serjac.com/
MGMidget
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MGMidget » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Great, thanks. I'll certainly take a look at Ski Esprit at Les Gets and the Morzine area! I'm hoping as we are taking our au pair that we have childcare covered for part of time but it is good to know they have creche facilities.
cocopops
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cocopops » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 am

we have been to the french pyrenees with our kids many times, loads cheaper than the alps, and very family friendly. (remember with skiing its not just the travel and the bed that costs, but the kit and the lift passes and the groceries) the skiing might not be as good for the grown ups but it works very well for a family holiday. we go to Les Angles, booking a self catering apartement thru Le Grange. apartment right on the piste, you can watch them from your window going down the nursery slope or take them back to watch tv and dry out while DH goes back out for a proper ski. cant recommend it highly enough, have been 6 times i think. also for our kids we have opted for private rather than class lessons. for the small ones they get too tired too fast so one or two hours of one to one is much better and about the same price as a whole day. before long they are all skiing together and then can have one teacher or just ski together all day.

heres where we go
http://www.lagrange-vacances.fr/locatio ... cre-6.html
GoldStar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GoldStar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 am

I agree with Morzine! It is wonderful with children! Great ski schools (I recommend The British ski school and international, don't go with Ecole Ski Francais).
I nannied there many years ago. There is a little train, in door pool and spa, in door and out door ice rinks, a park and little farm. It's easy to go up the 'bubble lifts' to the cafes, really nice walks and free buses that take you all over.
The Plenny is where the main ski school is and there are so many chalets there.
I worked for VIP which is the top end of most people's budget but try ski beat, ski famille and ski esprit.

Val D'Isere's transfer time is too long and courcheval and Meribel are quite difficult drives up to resort (I have known children to be sick on the transfer!)

The snow is fab everywhere, ESP north alps so Morzine would be great! The transfer time is less than an hour from Geneva too!

Have a fab time!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.