Aupair novice... whats reasonable???

4 posts
secondtimer
Options:
Share this post on:

Aupair novice... whats reasonable???

Postby secondtimer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:05 pm

I am humming and haaing about getting my first aupair. Can anyone give me some guidelines on what are reasonable expectations to make? For example..

Typical hours and salary? 20 hours? 30 hours? Babysitting?
Is it best to use an agency? Fees? Contracts?
Holiday arrangements?
Light housework? Is it typical for them to keep the kids bedrooms straight and do their washing?
Accomodation? - is it reasonable for them to share the ensuite with the kids or should they have it for sole usage?
Typical duration of contract?

I would be interested in views from both mums and aupairs, as ultimately if I took someone on I would hope for them to like us as much as we liked them!

Thanks!
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Aupair novice... whats reasonable???

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Ah, the tricky world of Au Pairs.

The first thing I must say, is that you are taking on the responsibly as a "host family". This means that you are to open your life to a person that wants to experience a new culture, learn English, and generally have a good time. They aren't all childcare experts and aren't here to be a Sole charge "nanny" or "cleaner"... so just don't get one in order to replace those two people. It most likely won't live up to your standards if that is the case.

There are different levels of Au Pairing... Regular and Plus. Regular Au Pairs generally work 20-25 hours a week with about £60-80 spending money. This includes childcare, babysitting, and light housework (kids laundry, emptying dishwasher, making kids beds, etc.) and is best to be agreed upon before the job is accepted. Au Pair Plus works 30-35 hours and get paid slightly more, this is very dependant on what is going on in your house. £80 to anywhere around £200 can be right. If you don't have a cleaner, I'd think the higher end is more appropriate in both cases. An agency can help you out on this one. Also, we pay for food, toiletries, and tube passes... Some families also pay for language courses and other extras. We take it as it comes...

Au Pairs usually get 20days paid holiday for the year worked. We say, you can take 10 whenever, but 10 must be with us (same time not same holiday). I don't do sick days, if your sick, your sick.... and I pay them still. (It isn't that much money...)

Accommodation is usually bedroom and bathroom (sole). However, it can be shared... they just have to be informed up front. I'd also say it is nice to have a bit of separation between you and the Au Pair (aka, loft suite usually works the best)

Au Pairs can stay with you from 3 months to 2 years. However, I find most of them want a 6 or 12 month stay.

I'd recommend using an agency. They will prepare you to be a host family and also make sure a match is correct or help you deal with a replacement in case things don't work out, either end.

Also, my Au Pair is like part of the family... it is fantastic... x
Kate Williams
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kate Williams » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Secondtimer,

The reply from BalhamworkingMumFt was really thorough, she's got a great understanding of the role of the au pair as part of a cultural exchange.

I am a Wandsworth Mum of two and I work part-time as an au pair agent, helping to match families in SW and W London with suitable au pairs from Spain, France, Italy and Germany. I always visit the family in their home to ensure they have the chance to ask any questions.

My email address is kate@elephantrecruitment.com
I'd be happy to send you more information - please just drop me an email.

Regards
Kate
GoldStar
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GoldStar » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 am

Balham mummy has covered most of it!

Definitely remember that they are not a nanny. They can only work 25-35 hours per week depending on where they are from and I they are an au pair or au pair plus. Au pairs are also not supposed to have sole charge of children under the age of 2.

Contact an agency for full guidelines. Even if you choose not to go through one, they will give you the right advice (I highly recommend using one though!)
Kate above sounds like a great person to talk about this with

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.