Travelling to India with an 18 month old -HELPPPPPPP

9 posts
falconmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Travelling to India with an 18 month old -HELPPPPPPP

Postby falconmum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 pm

First time ever travel with a toddler . Not sure what I need for the flight , entertainment and what I will need in India .

We are going in May so sunscreen and protection is a must . Do I need to take milk / food pouches along ? We would be travelling a bit around the country as well ....

How do I get the baby acclimitised to the heat ??

Nervous ....
mrsbfrombalham
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Travelling to India with an 18 month old -HELPPPPPPP

Postby mrsbfrombalham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi,
On supplies when you are there, I think it all depends on where you are going in India. In Bombay you should be able to find pretty much everything you need - it's a big metropolis, very westernised. However, if you are going to be somewhere more remote you might want to take more with you.
Re flight, when my daughter was a toddler I always took lots of small snacks (raisins, fruits, biscuits, fruit pouches). I tend to avoid sugar - just makes kids more hyper. Although most airlines provide water I always have a small bottle with me which I get refilled - a thirsty toddler is never fun. Sticker books are good , as is an iphone or ipad. Something new (e.g. small toy) is a good distraction - which you hand out after take-off - always ticks off the first hour for me.
If your toddler does not have a seat, then make sure you do some walking around the plane. It will keep you sane and if all your LO does is grin at passengers and be cute then no one really minds.
I always take flights one hour at a time: eating, sleeping, watch TV, sing songs, have a snack, do colouring and then I always find that it's over sooner than I thought.
You won't get a moment to yourself but it's really not so bad to do long haul with a toddler.
Have a great trip!
BalhamMumWorkingFT
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BalhamMumWorkingFT » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:34 pm

You might also look into something to filter water while you are out there? I am not sure what the conditions are in different regions but a tummy bug from water is never good. Maybe ask your GP or health visitor about it.

Also, bring a buggy they are happy to sleep in and lots of light cotton clothes so that you can cover them up with clothing not just sunscreen. A tent for the beach might be good if it fits in... I always put my kids in long sleeve swim suits in warmer climates. Boden makes cute ones but so do lots of other brands. Not sure about car seats out there either...

As for "food"; again, depends what exactly you are doing. But pouches for the plane and for emergency food will be good.

Good Luck, sounds amazing.
cosmopolitanmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cosmopolitanmum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 pm

it all depends on where you are going. i am taking my 18 month old to Mumbai and Goa and have done following:
1. vaccines. they need hep a, typhoid and tetanus. if your lo is up to date with jabs they will just need typhoid and hep a. plus malaria tablets (depending on region)
2. mosquito repellant, nets
3. dont trust indian bottled water - many cases of people filling it up with lo cal water. again if you are in 5 star hotels etc you will be fine. i always boil indian brands (eg bisleri) just in case. if poss i stick to evian ec
4 take dioralyte, piraton, after bite, calpol with you (i also take aloe vera)
5. usual stuff for hot weather eg shades, hats, sunscreen etc
6. be careful what food you give them. avoid salads etc as washed in local water. best to stick with cooked foods.

have fun! India is such an amazing place!
zaza107
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby zaza107 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am

Similar to the comment above about salads, you probably will want to avoid giving your toddler a sip of any beverage that has ice in it, as ice is at least sometimes made with local water, even in fairly posh places. It's a good idea to peel fruits, too.

I have heard that whilst local milk might not be a great idea, yoghurt with live cultures is more often fine as the bacteria do their job. Perhaps someone can confirm that, though.

It's all about managing the risk, and then not worrying too much. I love India. Have a great time.

falconmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby falconmum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks guys...esp the tips on meds and shots....very essential.
From wat I understand, better to give milk than yogurt as risk of salmonella poisoning is higher with yogurt.

Any ideas for the flight? Can u give anti sickness meds to such young kids?
mrsbfrombalham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mrsbfrombalham » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:25 am

Most sickness tablets are for over 2's I think. For future reference I swear by Dramamine Kids which is now available in the UK. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dramamine-Motio ... 656&sr=1-1

My daughter is car and plane sick and these just make it go away. They can make kids quite drowsy though, so I tend to only give 1/2 tablet at a time. Of course you might want a quiet flight ;)
cosmopolitanmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby cosmopolitanmum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Falconmum,
i wouldnt give milk as sometimes it can be watered down. If you can see it is coming straight out of a carton in a hotel then its ok but otherwise i would take/ buy powdered milk out there and use mineral water to make it up.
For me the key to good flight is (1) having lots of little toys to keep them entertained. 99p shop is great. i usually take little tubs of playdoh, sticker books etc also download a few of their fav episodes on ipad (2) you being well rested. i always take a day flight as even though kids dont sleep at least you have energy to keep them entertained.
India is such a wonderful place for kids as they are bombarded by new tastes, smells, sights and sounds! Have fun.
falconmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby falconmum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 am

We now have a childpad ! Maybe a bit much for a 18 monyh old but better than scratches on my smartphone !

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.