Independent primary schools in Balham

4 posts
louise
Options:
Share this post on:

Independent primary schools in Balham

Postby louise » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi
We are looking to move to Balham from west london and would like some advice about schools. We have 2 boys (one will be starting reception in September), I realise that like other parts of london many of the private schools are oversubscribed but surely last minute places do become available? Can anyone give me a list of independent schools I should call up and which ones you would recommed for boys?

Thank you
Mistletoe
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Independent primary schools in Balham

Postby Mistletoe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:25 pm

Ok so I am going to get into trouble for generalising but this is *roughly* true...

Broomwood Hall/Northcote Lodge if your child secretly wants to wear spats and a waistcoat, calls you mater and pater and yearns for Edwardian England.

Thomas' if they openly want to conquer the work, believe in winning at all costs and *know* they are going to be prime minister one day.

Finton House and Hornsby House are a balance of the top two but if you have a boy be aware that most chaps leave Finton at 7.

Bertrum House is lovely and is especially suitable for younger children.

Thats my ha'penth worth!

M
NPMum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NPMum » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Our kids go to Newton Prep in Battersea - there are quite a few kids who live in Balham that go to the school. It's a great school and we are really happy there.

The school is also going through some renovations - last year they expanded the library and put in 2 amazing science labs. This year they'll start on the new lower school building. One of the things that attracted us to the school was that there was a lot of outdoor space for the kids, the other was the incredible library!

It's worth looking at www.newtonprep.com and coming to see the school.
elephilant
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby elephilant » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 pm

What you were asking, is if there are ever places available, apart from at the start of the school year in the independent prep and pre-prep schools in Wandsworth. There often are vacancies as there is plenty of turnover in these schools, as in all London schools, as families move out of town for work and other family reasons.
You should call up all the various schools mentioned and ask if they have places available, and if you can visit to get a feel for the different styles of school. (I would also suggest that you consider the local state schools as many get very good results.)
What the other correspondents have failed to mention is that some private schools test all potential pupils (and check out the parents too..) and others don't test the children quite so openly but still check out the parents.
So, even if you like say, Thomas's, they may not take your children-or not both of them-if they don't show the right potential. And exactly what they are looking for is not entirely clear-it seems to be a combination of confidence and intelligence-either on its own is not enough.
On the other hand, if your child/children do get in, they should do well academically, and go on to their choice of secondary school.
So visit each school's website and see what they say their policies are and the results they get and then off you go!
I hope this is helpful.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.