Recommendations for a structural engineer?

3 posts
Familycompleted
Share this post on:

Recommendations for a structural engineer?

Postby Familycompleted » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Does anyone have a structural engineer they would recommend?

We are having issues with our downstairs neighbour who claims that a crack in the lintel under our common front entrance is due to the weight of our loft (we we bought already converted back in 2007) and that we should be footing the entire bill to fix it. We had both a builder and a building surveyor say its not to do with the loft and she insists we now need a structural engineer. Any advice please?

Given that we bought the place already converted (I think it was done in 2006 r early 2007), is it still our responsibility entirely to fix the problem even if it WERE due to the conversion? :?

Thanks so much in advance!
autumnmum
Share this post on:

Re: Recommendations for a structural engineer?

Postby autumnmum » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi,
Ah what a nightmare! I can recommend the engineer wehad for our loft conversion who came up with a solution quick fast when the builders put the steel in the wrong place (but only realised 6 weeks in when the stairs went in?!). Contact Mitch at Mitchenson Macken http://mitchinsonmacken.co.uk/

When we did our loft the builder said that if there was going to be a problem with the party wall,it would have been evident as soon as they did the work in the wall (within days). I seriously doubt that your neightbours have any case so many years later! But perhaps ask the engineer who I would think should know something about the legal side of things/obligations.

Hope it works out for both you and the neighbour. A crack shouldn't cost much to repair as we went through the implications of cracks with our neighbour before building work started....hpefully would need just a bit of plaster and paint - so perhaps not worth getting yourself too stressed about I think, even if you did end up contributing.

Good luck!
Familycompleted
Share this post on:

Re: Recommendations for a structural engineer?

Postby Familycompleted » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks so much autumnmum! We had one take a look and he immediately confirmed it was not to do with our conversion. Now we are just waiting for the nightmare neighbour to reply - so let's see! Something's money can't buy!!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.