Portuguese playgroups?

4 posts
mumsw11mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Portuguese playgroups?

Postby mumsw11mum » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

Does anyone know of playgroups/classes for Portuguese-speaking or bilingual children in SW11(or close by) ?

I have a 3 and a 2 year old and really want them to learn.

Don't mind Brazilian/African/European just as long as its Portuguese.

There must be something out there? If not, is anyone interested in setting something up?
nvmof3
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Portuguese playgroups?

Postby nvmof3 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:22 pm

My kids speak no Portuguese, but I would love them to learn since their father is half Portuguese and they have loads of Portuguese cousins who they visit every year. If this gets set up, I would definitely love to bring them to try to expose them to Portuguese more, but I don't think mine could be founder members given their lack of language so far. I wish my husband had spoken to them in Portuguese but I think it is too late now (aged 7,6 and 4).
chickchick
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chickchick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi there, I was wondering if you ever had the chance to find a portuguese playgroup. We are moving to portugal next year and just hired a brazilian nanny so the kids can start learning a bit. I though a playgroup would also help. Please let me know! Thanks! Paula
ClaraF1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ClaraF1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 am

Good evening ladies. I am bi- lingual English/Portuguese. Born in London but with Portuguese parents and at least 4 yearly trips to Portugal since birth, I speak, read and write Portuguese perfectly. I had the same trouble as yourselves when looking for a Portuguese school for my daughter. I found 1 local class, but sadly it was VERY Inadequate. The teacher tried her best, but she had way too many children in the class from 5-11 years. A lot of children were there because they had to be (parents choice, not theirs). This meant they were disruptive and stopped others from progressing. As a child care professional I offered to stay in class to help the teacher, but I soon realised that I could help my daughter to learn much better away from the noisy environment. After 2 terms I gave up, and removed my daughter and have taught her myself, she is able to speak it perfectly and her reading is very good too. If you are interested in childcare or some lessons in Portuguese for your children feel free to contact me. I work at a local primary school and have enhanced CRB.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.