Starting nursery school in January or April instead of Sept?

11 posts
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Starting nursery school in January or April instead of Sept?

Postby pie81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi all

Our little girl will be 2 in october and I'd like her to start nursery school in January or April next year. We signed her up for four good nursery schools last year (when she was about 8 months old, perhaps too late!) but they all offered September 2015 places instead of jan 2015 as we'd asked for. They all say we are "waitlisted" for a place in January or April.

I'm trying to work out the chances of her getting a January or April place and whether I need to look into other options or just reckon she won't start till she's nearly 3.

My guess is these popular nursery schools choose to prioritise September starters as that way they get a full year's fees rather than only two or one term's fees. Does anyone know if that is right? If so, then we will only get a Jan or April place if there are not enough September starters or if someone drops out during the year. Seems unlikely.

Anyone have recent experience of their child starting at nursery school in January or April rather than September? Were you waitlisted? Anything special you did in order to get the place (eg phone a lot...)

Any information would be helpful. Thanks
balhamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Starting nursery school in January or April instead of S

Postby balhamite » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Are you looking for day nurseries (ie full day care) or preschools (ie mornings, school day, term time). I would have thought day nurseries take year round?
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Yes sorry I meant preschools.
pixies82
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pixies82 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi there

I run a small Nursery in Clapham Common (Pixies Nursery) and yes the intake is usually higher in September. This is down to the fact that a lot of children leave in July to start reception in September and there are a lot more spaces available. However I always try to keep a handful of places set aside for January intakes and April.

If you are interested we have some space for Jan 2015
http://www.pixiesnurseryschool.co.uk/

Good luck!
Laura
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Thanks Pixies that's helpful information and makes sense. I guess nursery schools want to fill the places as soon as they become available in Sep once the bigger children have gone on to school, rather than holding them empty till Jan or April. Your nursery school looks lovely but is a long way from us unfortunately! I will keep it mind though...
https://merrygoround.club/
https://www.mathnasium.co.uk/clapham
https://www.nightingalemontessori.co.uk/
http://www.abbevillenannies.co.uk/home/
https://www.345nurseryschool.com/
twobusyboys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twobusyboys » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi. We're in a similar situation. My older son goes to one of the big private pre-schools BTC and started in September of last year when he was 2.5.

My younger son is 2 in October and ideally we wanted him to start at the same pre-school in January 2015, and didn't want to wait until the following September as he would be nearly 3.

The pre-school would only offer us an afternoon place in January and said we would be placed on a wait-list for a morning place. We would be given priority if a morning place came up (as he's a sibling) but we would still be around 8th on the list. They said chances of getting a morning place was entirely dependant on if families were leaving the area etc but weren't that optimistic.

The other option given was to pay for the place from September and take it up as soon as he turns two. This is what we've done, although it really annoys me that we're having to pay for half a term of him not attending. But he is a big sleeper, so an afternoon place really wouldn't work for us, plus once you start on afternoons, its very difficult to change to mornings even after several terms at this particular pre-school.

Other pre-schools may be a bit more flexible but think if its one of the popular ones, you may well have the same problem. Hope that helps.
balhamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby balhamite » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 pm

Depending on where you live, have you considered Lochinvar preschool on oldridge road? They are ofsted outstanding and my son goes and loves it. I know last year there were a few January starters. It's great there for young ones and its very affordable.
pie81
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pie81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies

twobusyboys, gosh I hadn't even thought about taking a place from this September and paying for her NOT to attend! The thing is she was born in October but actually premature, she shouldn't be 2 till December so I really don't want her to start till January earliest. So I'd be paying for a whole term of unused fees. Plus we have a nanny so nursery is doubling up on cost anyway!

On the other hand I'd be happy with an afternoon place as she is not a big sleeper (understatement...) and I reckon the nap may be on the way out by January or definitely by April.

However I can't seem to get an offer even of an afternoon place in Jan/April! Would you mind PMing me to tell me which nursery you are talking about, as it sounds like I might have more luck there in getting an afternoon Jan/April place??

balhamite I had heard good things about Lochinvar, I will take a look. It's not tooo far. Thanks
Nadboy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Nadboy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 am

Hiya,

With our first Daughter, we apply for two good nurseries near by when she was only 1.1/2 then
She turned three end of December and one of the school contacted us offering her a place starting in January.
We didn't do anything in particular at all, just attended the school fairs and activities...
I guess is there is a shortage of kids/relocation...they will still consider taking more kids in.

Best of Luck! 8-)
https://merrygoround.club/
https://www.mathnasium.co.uk/clapham
https://www.nightingalemontessori.co.uk/
GatewayHouseNursery
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GatewayHouseNursery » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:47 am

I run Gateway House Nursery School.
We always keep places for January and April during the year, as we do find it unfair on children who are born later in the year. It also means that they are actually with us for a longer which is lovely!
There are so many fantastic nurseries in Wandsworth, so please dont panic. We are not all packed full with extended waiting lists!!!
You are more than welcome to come and visit us or alternatively visit the WINA (Wandsworth Independent Nursery Assosiation) web site to find alternative nusery. I know and can recomend many.
I have very strong feelings about nurseries that make mums panic about getting a place!
Good Luck!
www.gatewayhousenursery.co.uk
www.gatewayhousenursery.co.uk
BertrumHouse
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby BertrumHouse » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Hello, I'm the Head of Early Years at Bertrum House School.

We are a small, friendly nursery situated behind the Polish church on Balham High Road (or on Rowfant Road). We are in a huge, bright hall and have fantastic outside play space.

We are getting very full for September but always have a second intake in January (with an extra member of staff joining us) so may work quite well for you.

If you would like to come and have a look around, please phone our school secretaries (details are below) and I would love to show you around. Alternatively we run a 'stay and play' session with Monkey Music on Fridays at 2pm. It's a good opportunity to meet some of our staff and the first session is free!

Best wishes,

Vicky

www.bertrumhouseschool.co.uk
office@bertrumhouseschool.org.uk
Tel: 020 87674051

Nursery Department: 53 Rowfant Road, London SW17 7AP

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.