Aldi or Lidl?

5 posts
coldatchristmas
Options:
Share this post on:

Aldi or Lidl?

Postby coldatchristmas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:09 pm

I am usually a Waitrose/Ocado person myself but haven't been able to ignore the endless newspaper articles about how Tesco and the like are being hammered by Aldi and Lidl and how the middle classes are flocking to them as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... wards.html

As an unashamedly middle class person myself I ask does anyone here use Aldi/Lidl and what is it good for? (or not good for?)

To be honest I put a lot of the press down to PR department spin but there has been so much of it that I wondered if there was more to it than that?

I once went to the one in Balham opposite Halford as it was the only place that had any fireworks left on the 5th of November and, quite frankly, it was horrible!

Would love honest feedback :-)

Is there a difference between the two?
t_w_i_n
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Aldi or Lidl?

Postby t_w_i_n » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 pm

I go to Aldi to buy their own brand nappies and gin - I must look like Mother of The Year ;-). I agree that Lidl doesn't have a nice feel to it but Aldi seems better and does great cut flowers and a few bits from there help reduce the cost of the big weekly shop. Give it a go!
papinian
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby papinian » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:15 pm

There are differences between Aldi and Lidl and I agree with t_w_i_n that Aldi feels less downmarket.

However, there aren't any Aldis around this part of London. There are a few in SE London - Crystal Palace, Old Kent Road - and some further out - Coulston, Croydon. On the other hand, Tooting and Streatham are saturated with Lidls and there is one in Clapham as well.
Balhammum44
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Balhammum44 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Ah yes
I am a waitrose/ocado shopper but ALSO a targetted Lidl shopper
What I mostly like lidl for are the non food items.
In the past I would have to traipse down there to see what they have, however I have now signed up to the lidl weekly offers email, I check out what will come in on particular days and head down if there is anything useful
Being continental they are very good for cycling/camping gear and lots of other practical stuff
Our picnic/camping chairs were from there and they are BRILLIANT still going strong 9 years on...
Also low cost kids colouring books etc
Hubby says some of the DIY stuff great, some not so good
Quality can be surprisingly good although I recall camping at a party on the Gower years ago pre kids in a £14 tent and that was not a success.. (blew away)
Chocolate good, some wines if you check reviews and actually quite a bit of fruit and veg
Parmesan really good 24month old large slab, way cheaper than waitrose
No Aldi near Balham so no experience
I'm not bothered by the building, I'm interested in the contents... (though if you don't buy anything it can be remarkably difficult to escape)
BM
Caferacer
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Caferacer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Balhammum44 wrote:Ah yes
I am a waitrose/ocado shopper but ALSO a targetted Lidl shopper

BM
Hee hee that phrase sums up really :D

We use Clapham Lidl for things like washing powder/conditioner, dishwasher tablets and cleaning products - they are so much cheaper and just as good!

Ross

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.