Child with behavioral problems

4 posts
Elsa09
Options:
Share this post on:

Child with behavioral problems

Postby Elsa09 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Hello,
I am hoping that someone can give me some advice, be able to point me in the right direction.
My middle child (stereotypical I know!) has recently started displaying violent and impulsive behavior. He has always been quick to anger and never seemed to grow out of the terrible two's. He has huge amounts of energy, finds it hard to concentrate on anything longer than a couple of minutes. He has never been into telly,toys, drawing etc.. Because he has never been still long enough to enjoy them.
From a very young age we started restricting sugar as we noticed immediately it would affect his behavior. His huge personality, excess energy, impulsiveness, temper tantrums have never been a huge problem as as a family we realized that was part of who he is and could deal with it.
Recently however he has started being violent- kicking, biting , punching, throwing toys etc...to all family members including my youngest (under a year old.) he gets so angry that three times he has run into the road in rage. He has no fear of danger not is he intimidated by authority, teachers etc..
This week his school rang me and suggested I seek outside help. A professional who deals in ADHD/behavior issues in children. I don't want to lable him, nor do I think it's possible to fully asses what's going on as he is under 10 years old, but have agreed with the school that it can't hurt for someone outside of the situation to evaluate what's going on, how we can support him, and if indeed this is more than just a phase.
But I don't know where to start. We are fortunate to have private insurance but have no clue who he should see?!
Does anyone know of someone who works with children this age who have add/adhd, behavioral issues?
Any advice greatly received.
Thanx
Pud1
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Child with behavioral problems

Postby Pud1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:20 pm

I would also recommend the NHS route. Ask your GP for a referral for a paediatric check. Dr Hayward and Janine Webb (the ADHD nurse) at St George's are really good and will diagnose and suggest treatment.
young at heart
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby young at heart » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:51 am

Hello just to echo a previous post - do try and contact CAMHS. I deal with them a lot in my line of work and am consistently impressed with their level of practical support , professionalism and commitment.
topmama
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby topmama » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:46 pm

If your child is at a state school the Special Needs/Inclusion co-ordinator can /should refer to the school's Educational Psychologist.They can provide advice to the school staff and the parents and refer to CAMHS. ADHD is a medical diagnosis usually from a psychiatrist and is based on interviews and observations with parents and ideally school staff since the behaviours should be evident is all settings.

If you are in a private school your GP would be the route to CAMHS.
:D

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.