Locating our main drain...

4 posts
Coffeandcake
Options:
Share this post on:

Locating our main drain...

Postby Coffeandcake » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Two queries on one night but if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

We have a small vermin problem and are trying to locate the main drain so that we can look to fix this as this is potentially an access point - we are in a classic Victorian house with the side return done - from looking at the plans left behind by the vendor and our survey, it looks like the main drain might be below our kitchen floor - with no access... Absent there being an obvious access point, does anyone have any idea how it is possible to locate the main drain without going through the huge costs associated with digging up a perfectly good floor ? I don't suppose there are (magic) cameras that can look beneath floors ? Already been on to the Council and no joy. Has anyone had similar problems and found a good company in terms of fixing said drains assuming they are found ? Thanks so much - really need to be able to fix this.
nuttymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Locating our main drain...

Postby nuttymummy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:01 am

In a 'standard' Victorian terrace the drain should go out through your kitchen and into the garden to meet the mains drains - am sure you have already but if you haven't and your garden has a patio double check there isn't access under any of the slabs. Obv depends when it was done but I would think building control wouldn't have been passed without access being maintained so it must be somewhere..... In any event if you do have to dig to find it I'd start outside not in! Hope you resolve the issue!
Tealover
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tealover » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:44 am

Unfortunately I know a bit about drains in a standard victorian! As previous poster said it does go under the kitchen. The stack pipe should come down on the inner corner of the original 'L' shape of the house and will now be going out towards the back of the house under the floor of your kitchen extension ( this would originally have been the side return). It comes maybe 2ft behind the back of the original house and does a 90 degree turn, runs about 1.5m and then does another 90 degree turn back under the original kitchen and cellar. There should be an access point on one of these turns in the back garden if you extension was done correctly. You should also have a manhole in your front path where the sewer goes out towards the street. If your access points have been blocked then you will probably have to get at least one uncovered....but hopefully not under your floor.....unless your extension came out further than the original back wall. Drain companies do have cameras that can go right up - but only where there is no blockage. We had a new trap fitted to the opening of the main pipe into the street to stop rats getting access. Hope this helps!
WandsworthHeritage
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby WandsworthHeritage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:13 am

Hi,
If your property is within the borough of Wandsworth we may be able to help. Wandsworth Heritage Service hold drainage plans for most buildings in the borough built from around 1860s onwards.

Please email us at heritage@gll.org with your address so that we can check if we have anything useful in our collection. To view material you would then need to come into our searchroom located in Battersea Library, Lavender Hill.

http://www.better.org.uk/libraries/wand ... ge-service

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.