Balham schools

18 posts
Sunshine26
Options:
Share this post on:

Balham schools

Postby Sunshine26 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:47 pm

I know this has been asked a lot but I would be really keen on the latest views of Rutherford House school. Ive been to see the school and was certainly impressed but as so much of what we were told during the tour is yet to happen, with the school and head being so new, it would be great to hear from parents with children there. I would also like to hear views on Trinity St Marys just a bit further along the high road. A very different feeling school to Rutherford but so warm and friendly. Thanks for any views!
headshrinker
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Balham schools

Postby headshrinker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:21 am

If you are looking at those ones then don't forget to have a look at Ravenstone. They are due a new Ofsted Inspection any day so should have a decent rating again soon (has recently been whipped into Ofsted-friendly shape). Plus it is a lovely, fun and friendly school.
mumplusone
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumplusone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:41 pm

I'd be really interested to hear about Rutherford House too, or any new thoughts on Ravenstone, from parents there (not just based on it's last Ofsted).

Thanks!
Joe's Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Joe's Mum » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:44 pm

I agree. Ravenstone is definitely worth a visit. The current Ofsted rating is very misleading and due to be regraded any time soon. It's a fabulous school.
mumplusone
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumplusone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks Joesmum and headshrinker. If you don't mind me asking- do you have kids at those schools? What's the parental involvement like? What's do you think of the teaching/level of work? And the before/after school care? Thanks!

upsidedownmummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby upsidedownmummy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:10 am

Hi - I'm a Rutherford parent and can honestly say the school is great. We have amazing teachers (in all the years) and as you say a new head who is very dynamic and focussed and I feel she will really take the school forward. The kids do forest school once a week, lots of PE and music, the school is a "healthy school" so all fresh food for lunch cooked on site by the school chef (my child now eats salad!). There is a very proactive parent group who have raised funds already to install a new playground (now fully in action) and organise loads of fundraising social events. Most importantly my child is really happy and loves going to school - thats surely the biggest confirmation you can get?

Hope that helps in some little way...good luck!
mrsbfrombalham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mrsbfrombalham » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:42 am

I am a Ravenstone parent - so happy to give my views.
The teaching is very good, there is adequate level of homework with materials provided for those who want to do more - and the children get timely feedback and follow-up actions as needed.
PTA is absolutely fantastic and highly involved in the school - which gives it a real sense of community. Also, the level of communication with parents is now outstanding - so I always feel I know what is going on, what my child is studying and where they need to focus.
The only thing that lets Ravenstone down in my view is before/ after school care. The only option is Schools Out at the Balham Community centre - which we tried but my child really did not like it. This means that working parents have to rely on nannies/childminder.
olivetree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby olivetree » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi

My son started in Reception at Rutherford House this September and we are very pleased with how it is going. Most importantly my son is so happy and says he loves school! He gets up to all sorts of activities and loves the weekly forest school trips to the common. The reception teachers seem lovely and very knowledgable and a large number of workshops have been arranged for parents to give us an understanding of what the kids are learning and how they are being taught.
The school has a friendly feel and many parents volunteer to help in the classroom and the PTA is very active.

So we are very happy with our choice.
Hope this helps!
Joe's Mum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Joe's Mum » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:53 pm

I have one child now in his third year at Ravenstone and one in nursery, so I can't really comment on what it's like further up the school but so far I am a big fan. Mine are both very happy there.

The nursery is lovely, and the younger one, in sharp contrast to his previous nursery where he cried at drop off every day, complains that he doesn't want to leave when I go to collect him and has asked to do more full days there.
They have a huge garden where they can dig and ride trikes etc so it's very good for active ones especially.

The older one also loves the school and is always excited about what he's doing there and keen to learn.

For my part I think that the teachers that we have had so far have been excellent. The older child is reading like a train - obsessed with the Harry Potter books at the moment, which I think is pretty good for Yr 2.

Parents are now kept well informed of what is going on. There is a showing assembly every fortnight where the children stand up and show their work to the rest of the school. Parents can go and see what the children have been doing, not only in their child's class but throughout the school. I have always been impressed. Awards are also given out at these assemblies and there is a lovely culture of celebrating each others achievements.

Lots of parents get involved with various events. Only a few weeks ago a big group of parents pitched in on a weekend to clean up and prepare the playground for some improvements which have been made possible through lots of other fundraising activities. These days are actually good fun and help foster the sense of community for which Ravenstone is well known. Ravenstock, the summer fete, is a real high point and to my mind definitely one of the funkiest and most creative of the school summer fairs.

One of the reasons that I chose Ravenstone over Rutherford House was that my child would have been the first intake and I didn't want him to be always the oldest year in the school. Obviously this effect is diminished with the passing of years, but I do feel that the younger ones benefit enormously from having the big boys and girls to look up to. At Ravenstone the Reception pupils are given a Year 6 mentor, and the older children quite often help out with the little ones at Sports Days and other events so they really do all get to know each other throughout the school.This seems to foster a culture of caring for each other and it's not unusual to see an older child picking up a random toddler who has fallen over in the playground and helping them to find their parent.

I'm afraid that I can't comment on the after school care having not used it (I have a childminder pick up on days that I am working).

Hope this helps!

mumplusone
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumplusone » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks so much for those detailed replies, really helpful!
mumplusone
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mumplusone » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks so much for those detailed replies, really helpful!
coffeemorning
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coffeemorning » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Another Ravenstone parent here - I have two children in the school and they love it. I'd second all the good things that have been said about it, and would add that the school also does brilliant school trips. I think last year's Reception class went to a children's play at Battersea Arts Centre (before the awful fire), the Museum of Childhood, and the Olympic Park at Stratford, among other things. And parents are encouraged to come along on the day and help.
I think we are very lucky in Balham as there are so many vibrant and happy primary schools, and I'm sure you will be happy with wherever you choose.
Just one last thing - Ravenstone has its Christmas Fair on Sat 5 December, so if you want to see parental involvement in action, come along!
Like the other posters, I can't comment on out of school care as I haven't used it.
Good luck with it all!
bcc91bh
Share this post on:

Postby bcc91bh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:28 pm

In reply to mrsbfrombalham

Schools Out Club Balham and Breakfast Club Balham which is available at The Balham Community Centre its a great place and solution for parents who think that may have to rely on nannies or a childminder.

To say that parents will have to rely on a nanny or childminder just because your child did not like the club is not a fair statement for a childcare provision that has had a Ofsted Outstanding Rating three times in a row.

Ravenstone is a great School and the Schools out Club that works along side the School is great as well.

mrsbfrombalham
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mrsbfrombalham » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:41 pm

bcc91bh - I apologise if my comment caused offence - none was intended.
I did specify that this was just my view and certainly do not pretend to be speaking for anyone else - just humbly sharing my own experience.
After school care for me has been a headache since my child has started at Ravenstone and so I thought it would be useful for prospective parents to hear my experience.
Ravenstone is however a wonderful school and I feel lucky to have it on my door step as a state school
imacowboy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby imacowboy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Mungomuffit I appreciate the concerns you had but I think you took your child out of Ravenstone a year or two ago, didn't you, so I think it's worth adding that some of the things you mention (particularly feedback to parents and consistency of teaching) have been addressed with some gusto since the last Ofsted 2 years ago. With regard to other things you mention, they certainly have weekly Maths homework now (the Mathletics programme) and class sizes are surely comparable to all the other state schools in the area - in fact at the moment they're probably a bit smaller since Ravenstone isn't oversubscribed the way it has been in the past (though I suspect this won't last once the Ofsted rating is improved, as it surely will be before too long).

Needless to say I'm a Ravenstone parent too, and think it's a fantastic school where my daughter has been very happy for 3 years and counting.