What would it take for you to cycle to school with the kids?

2 posts
Lucullus
Options:
Share this post on:

What would it take for you to cycle to school with the kids?

Postby Lucullus » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Richmond Cycling is campaigning on cycling to school this year. http://www.richmondlcc.co.uk/2013/02/21 ... -richmond/

We've got a fair bit of data and information, but wanted to ask forum members if they cycle to school with their children (on the bike, with them, in a trailer, etc.) or how your children get to school otherwise.

For example, we know from a number of school travel plans that a lot of children would like to cycle, but don't. If you don't cycle, or your children don't, what do you think it would take to persuade you to do so?

And, in case you're worried about what it looks like, this is what we'd *really* like it to be like! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n_znwWroGM
Commando Dad
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: What would it take for you to cycle to school with the k

Postby Commando Dad » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Firstly, this is great. This is a very worthwhile conversation. I would LOVE to let my kids bike to school or to take them - on a bike -myself. However, i am not happy doing it right now.
To give insight into my point of view, i'd say this. I am a person that understands risk. I have been cycling to work everyday for nearly 10 years (i have picked up a few scars in my time). I have also climbed mountains in the Himalaya so i feel i am educated on risk. I would not - at present be comfortable allowing my kids or myself - with a small child on the back - to cycle to school. I am not being precious but i am acutely aware of those uncontrollable factors that can cause devastating accidents. Whilst these incidents maybe rare, i don't feel that there is any adequate measure to minimise this risk by keeping cycle safely separated or demarcated from regular traffic which poses a big chunk of that risk. I'd also add that there are plenty of moronic cyclists out there as well, i am agnostic on that front. The reality is there is a seriously uncontrollable factor when it comes to operating on the roads whether you are driving, or riding. I also don't think cycles should use footpaths so wouldn't allow my kids to ride them. Therefore, for me to allow my kids to ride to school, i'd like to know they had a route that was well laid out, demarcated and adequately separated from the traffic. There are just too many numpties out there. This wouldn't eliminate risk, but it would certainly help apply some controls to it.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.